Wave of sadness after each serving?

Noticed this with the previous version, and now again with 1.4.

I’ll be in a good mood and excited to drink soylent. I chug it, and a minute or two later as I’m getting on with my day, I feel a very strong wave of sadness.

I know it sounds like some kind of joke, but it’s real – I forget about it almost every time until it hits me again. I haven’t yet measured how long it takes for the feeling to go away but right now it’s been 15 minutes since my most recent onset, and I still feel a little down.

I figure it’s hurting me somehow (doing something to my gut biome?), and this is the signal from my body saying this input is recognized, and unwanted.

Anyone else notice something like this? Any ideas what it could be, how to mitigate? I love the overall UX of soylent and don’t want to give it up.

Attitude Change With Soylent?

How long have you been using Soylent?

About 2 months now. I don’t eat it exclusively – generally 2 meals a day!

I actually have been experiencing the opposite effect. I have a strong wave of euphoria or happiness right after I consume my serving. I have been wondering if it was because I ate so poorly before.

In addition, I tend to start craving Soylent awhile before I consume it. Also, if I eat something else other than Soylent, I tend to be in a poor mood.

Sadlent? Have you ever had struggles with depression?

Ha sure enough :wink: But that’s great to hear.

I do normally eat pretty nutritious stuff, so maybe from certain diets, soylent is really a step down?

Although, this is interesting: I do actually find myself craving soylent. Thus the enthusiasm when it’s time to have some, and the surprise when my body has this reaction. So I figure it’s mostly well-received, but there’s some acute caveat.

I do have some susceptibility to depression, but it’s never been so acutely triggered, certainly not by a food!

Do you always chug it? You could try ingesting it more slowly.

Hey interesting. I think that’s worth trying – thanks!

Maybe you’re sad because you’re done, and your body wants more.

I thought of this in jest, but I suppose it is a possibility.

Hope you can figure this out because that seems like a really negative side effect.

I had the same experience! After starting on 1.3, I began to actually feel better and more energized. I do love real food, but only go out to eat when I am traveling or with the gf. I crave Five Guys hamburgers, at times, but often, the choices of food I encounter or not pleasing, and I want to go home and drink my Soylent.

I agree with the person who said that maybe you aren’t drinking enough.
I crave soylent but it seems to aggravate my IBS. tried beano & gas x. Maybe they help a little.
I had been noticing a strong craving for soylent for some time. Running out & waiting 2 weeks for my next shipment was excruciating.
I left town last week for vacation. I brought a bag of soylent with me, but the first night in the hotel I couldn’t find it in any of my bags. this is was a few hours after eating dinner. Running around looking for it, I began to crave it even worse and even went into a bit of a panic thinking I left the soylent behind. Found it eventually - already unpacked & hidden. I have an addictive personality so I thought maybe there’s something addictive in it. But then I realized it not the same feeling. It feels as if all of my cells are calling out for more. Hope they improve the digestibility.

So, this was it. Or at least a big part of it. Drinking it slowly (which is hard to do) avoids that punch-in-the-gut feeling and seems to also dodge the emotional response.

Good call – what made you think of that??

Ha thanks. I definitely always want more, but no, this feeling was definitely more a “whatever you just did to me was really stupid” feeling :wink:

You said chug. Chugging sugary drinks makes me feel physically awful. Drinking Soylent too fast leads to unpleasantness, but not the same level as an equal volume of chocolate milk or non-diet soda would.

I’m able to turn almost any stimulus into sadness, so I figured it was possible yours was chugging derived.

I find that drinking twice as much plain water as soylent while I’m drinking it keeps me from consuming it too fast & being sad it’s gone. Plus it helps with hydration & feeling full.

I’m having a similar experience that I wrote about on the thread “Attitude Change With Soylent.” I’ll be fine and then when I have my Soylent meal, afterwards I get a very overwhelmed, on edge, intense feeling. My heart starts beating rapidly and I feel very irritable and anxious. It’s like I’m on overload and become hypersensitive. It lasts for a couple of hours. My boyfriend is having the same experience. I am prone to anxiety and irritability normally, but the Soylent seems to bring it on like nothing else. I’m certain it has to do with the Soylent. Maybe if you’re prone to depression, it would bring that out more in you, but why on earth it should have this “gives you an intense feeling after consumption” effect, I’ve no clue. My boyfriend and I are both very confused by it. We’re going to drink smaller amounts throughout the day instead of doing meals and maybe that will help.

Update: It’s been over a week now on almost exclusively Soylent. I don’t really notice the feeling anymore at all. I’ve been drinking more slowly. Maybe that’s it. It just seems gone now.

Soylent, IBS, the low-FODMAP diet, and gut bacteria

It’s more likely your body/brain has gotten used to the level of nutrition. I know that before starting DIY soylent I was easily irritated. It was getting to the point that I was feeling guilty for snapping at people for no good reason. After I started making and drinking soylent I noticed I was getting considerably less irritable. Then I stopped adding the choline because I was under the very mistaken impression that the lecithin I was adding would meet my needs. It took a while but my irritability started coming back. When I realized my mistake and started adding the choline again the irritability went away again. The reason I think this is important is that, among other thing, choline is used in the production of acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is an important neurotransmitter.

I had quite a similar depressive experience and solved it by making sure to drink a lot of water and also drinking soylent slowly like bribles mentioned.

Okay, I have something that might verify what we’ve been experiencing. So I’m still noticing it. I thought it went away, but just 30 minutes after consuming a small amount of Soylent today, I became super jittery, anxious, and irritable and I have not calmed down since and it’s been about 4 hours. My heartbeat is crazy fast right now and it won’t stop.

Over the last two weeks, I’ve been noticing an incredibly unpleasant foggy headed feeling. I feel lightheaded and almost dizzyish, but not quite. I feel completely out of it mentally, like my brain doesn’t have enough energy, and I can’t seem to retain information well. It’s interfering with my ability to do things like drive. I almost never get into accidents and I’m a very cautious driver, but since being on Soylent, I’ve been making so many mistakes on the road and nearly getting into so many accidents that I don’t trust myself now to drive. My coordination is also completely off. I literally FEEL stupid somehow since being on Soylent.

I decided to look up whether people had experienced a similar foggy-headed, light-headed, inability to think, and I came across an interesting post where someone wrote about how they became pre-diabetic while on Soylent (http://discourse.soylent.me/t/soylent-is-giving-me-diabeetus/14732) and one of the comments triggered me to look up hypoglycemia. Sure enough, all of my symptoms are there. I’m going to go to a doctor immediately.

Signs and Symptoms of Hypoglycemia (happen quickly):
Shakiness
Nervousness or anxiety
Sweating, chills and clamminess
Irritability or impatience
Confusion, including delirium
Rapid/fast heartbeat
Lightheadedness or dizziness
Hunger and nausea
Sleepiness
Blurred/impaired vision
Tingling or numbness in the lips or tongue
Headaches
Weakness or fatigue
Anger, stubbornness, or sadness
Lack of coordination
Nightmares or crying out during sleep
Seizures
Unconsciousness

More at: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/hypoglycemia-low-blood.html

Update: I’ve documented more here: http://discourse.soylent.me/t/attitude-change-with-soylent/20417/19?u=klynn