Weight loss at 40+

So, when I was in my 20s and even 30s weight loss was easy. Stop overeating pizzas/ Chinese for a month, watch weight go down 1-2 pounds per week. A bit of self-control, and 20 pounds gone in a few months. Although working in an office environment I keep relatively active – walking a lot (necessity of a city, not exercise )

Now in my mid-40s I am noticing it is not the same. Somebody from the same age cohort as me – are you able to lose weight by simply sticking with Soylent for 90% of all nutrition? Is it enough without extra exercise? If I stay 90% S – am I likely to see 1-2 lbs per week weight loss in a month or two? I am chubby and looking to lose 20-30 lbs, would be THRILLED with that…

It honestly boils down to calories in versus out. You don’t have to exercise to lose weight. You need to stay under your calorie goal per day. So yes, if you use soylent 90% of the time or heck even once a day with normal food but stay under your daily goal you will lose.

1 day’s worth of Soylent is 2000kcal, which is some 700 less than the average man uses in a day. If you stick to it, you’ll lose weight :smile:

I’m in the same “cohort”, with no exercise.
Soylent makes things simple, if you can stick with it. It’s dial-a-weight.

Mr. Spoylent - mind sharing how much weight you losing per week? And are you 100%S, 50%S…? Must say I am quite encouraged by what I am reading here. Starting to believe it might actually work!

@Star_Gazer

@Zoltariel – Not necessarily. Hormones change with age. All my hormones levels dropped dramatically after age 30. I’m a woman.

I went from 123lbs at 23% body fat to 140lbs at 30% body fat within 2 years, in spite of eating well and being very active. After fighting it with no results for years of intense interval training, Crossfit, weight training, firefighting training & nutrition (it doesn’t get more hardcore and strict than firefighting, except maybe military), all guided by personal trainers, naturopaths, doctors, nutritionists, and with regular professional lab results (blood panels, etc), I lost exactly 1% bodyfat and gained no lean mass. Professionals were stumped. I could lose a year’s progress within a week of slacking off. The same effort in my 20s would have given me 6 pack abs within 1 month.

And no one who hasn’t experienced it will believe it.

I assure you I’m experienced and educated in exercise and nutrition, with a background in kinesiology and used to be a fitness model in my 20s.

Telling these people its just a matter of “calories in vs calories out” is an infuriating and gross simplification. Not to mention that 1200cal per day and moderate to heavy exercise (as recommended by many “professional” diet services to deal with stubborn weight) actually makes things worse, not better. It wasn’t until someone looked at my hormones and I got a prescription (in my case, for low dose DHEA) that my body started slowly responding to my exercise & nutrition again. But doctors mostly don’t take premenopausal women’s hormone imbalances seriously. I had to advocate for myself in the medical system and pay out of pocket for years (thousands of dollars per year) to get it addressed. I’m 37 now and only just starting to see results at last.

Aww sorry didn’t mean to offend you. I just am going off of personal experience as I lost 80 lbs by strictly making sure I follow certain calorie goals per day with no exercise. In my personal experience it has been in vs out. I’m nearing 30 by the way and also female. Have had two kids and tons of hormone changes. The only thing that has worked for me was calorie counting. ><

Weight loss wasn’t major point for me - I dropped 5 lbs within a month, initially. From there, it was all about weight maintenance - which is difficult with chaotic diet and complete lack of exercise.

I stick to 95%+ Soylent diet on most days, but even when I mix larger conventional meals, it’s still easy to revert back to Soylent routine or to slightly cut on it to offset the sins.

Hormonal inefficiency/aging will catch up with us, and whatever formula we had to maintain weight, it will slowly lose effectiveness. We will continue misjudging and overeating though, and this is where Soylent diet helps a lot.

Thank you for sharing, foodinapill. I feel your frustration, even though I am male with still relatively normal hormonal balances. Medical care trails real-life by many years in some cases. It could be that 20-30 years from now women of all ages (not just pre-post menopausal) will be routinely tested and prescribed medicine to get back to balance. I am sure what you shared may help others in similar situations.

47 years old, male, exercises regularly. I find it easy to lose weight, just like you did in your 20’s: Eat reasonable sized portions, no snacking, and a pound or two disappears a week. Worked before and after I started eating soylent (I’m on about 50% soylent). With soylent it’s a little easier because a “reasonable sized portion” is so simple to have.

Don’t forget, weight isn’t a perfect metric, either. I find my weight to be unbelievably stubborn, and like you, in my 20’s, I had almost total control over it. Back then, if I wanted to lose 5 pounds, I just would. Quickly and no difficulty at all. I was in such great shape then, I actually never thought about weight, and I was frankly more interested in gaining weight, in the form of muscle. But sometimes I would want to trim down a bit and just would.

Now I exercise a lot. For example, I backpack, and carrying a 40 pound pack up and down small mountains for 6-8 hours is unbelievable exercise. Cardiovascularly, I’m in the best shape of my life. But my weight hasn’t moved much. Much of this I attribute to fat changing to muscle, but that’s not the whole story. I just seem to be unable to exercise my way to a lower weight, and if I don’t eat enough calories, I can’t do the exercise because I get fatigued. But I know that I am in MUCH better shape now than I was say 5 years ago, even if my weight isn’t a whole lot different.

I am 69 and am approaching 250 lbs. I have been almost 100% Soylent for almost a year, and have been consuming 2000 calories daily. I feel healthy, but have not been losing weight.

I’m mid-40s, and have been maintaining weight on Soylent. I require approx. 2000 calories for “maintenance” so it works out pretty good.

I normally consume 100% Soylent 2.0 Mon through Thurs, and eat whatever slop I feel like Fri through Sun. In the case I do gain a bit of weight, I simply drop 1 bottle per day and lose it again rather quickly, without feeling any negative effects. Currently @ 145lbs.

I have thyroiditis & pcos & have gained 10 lbs in the past year at 1600-1800 kcal/day. at 1200 kcal/day I’m cranky & can’t focus enough to get my work done. so, I’ve given up losing the weight & resigned myself to being a little fatter & sharp rather than skinny & stupid.

Give keto a shot. Protein & fat is way more satiating than a bunch of carbs. Once you kick the carb addiction, hunger really fades. @chris_bair has a nice writeup of his experience.

N=2 https://www.thebairs.net/2015/11/user-experience-on-keto-chow-age-47-down-50lbs-in-5-months/

Age 41, down just over 100 pounds so far since January 1st (323 to 219) via 100% (Keto) soylents. Been writing it up at http://soylentforfoodaddiction.com although it still needs some work.

Impressive! What recipe did you use?

I’ve changed among a few different ones. The main things I’ve kept constant are 1) ketogenic and 2) 1200 kcal per day. I’ve done DIY for small parts of it, but commercial ones for the vast majority.

43 male. I was able to lose about 21 pounds using a 75% Soylent diet. I went from 167 to 146. I was strict about calories in versus calories out, tracking it on my phone.

But I found exercise necessary to make it work, otherwise I just got too hungry and the calorie limits too tight. Particularly effective was exercising at night before I went to bed. Exercise in the morning just made me hungrier the rest of the day.

I would have Soylent for breakfast and lunch, eat dinner with the family (normal food, but still healthy), and keep Soylent in the fridge and reach for it whenever I was tempted by unhealthy snacks (I’m talking about you, barbecue potato chips).

No matter what, you just can’t eat fast food. The math will never work out.

Good luck. Don’t get frustrated.