What diseases are preventable by nutrition?

Now, when we know how to integrate foods according to the FDA 2000 Calorie standard, why not take it further? What about meeting specific needs for individuals?

We can cure we can prevent…
What should be first?

UPD: According to suggestion by @livingparadox - header changed to “Prevent” instead of “Cure”.

Impatient complainers do not represent the vast majority of customers awaiting their first shipments

I vote for type 2 diabetes.

You should expect problems if you start marketing your foods as curing or preventing disease.

First, you can be screwing with people’s heads who have medical conditions that need medical attention, not something they perceive as a “miracle diet.” People can get hurt or die.

Second, the FDA will come knocking on your door with the “shutdown” hammer.

Be careful where you go with this.

(No need to reply to me. I’m just planting the warning and stepping out of this thread.)

I think you’re approaching this from the wrong direction if you’re looking to “cure” diseases with food.

All proper nutrition does is give your body what it needs to fix things on its own. Not every disease/illness is the result of nutritional deficiencies, and not every disease/illness operate in the same pathways as nutrition. Sometimes the only fix is medicine.

The angle you should go, is simply looking to see if any diseases can be helped by proper nutrition, and then look to optimize that. Food is not a panacea. Nothing is a panacea.

Good correction @livingparadox - we’d better use “Prevent” instead of “Cure”.
And I agree that:

Nothing is a panacea.

But in some cases prevention works well.
In this light, what disease would you like to prevent with proper nutrition?

I won’t answer this question, because I think its the wrong question to ask. My reasons for that are above.

As I said, instead of asking “what disease you want to prevent?” you should be asking “what diseases are preventable by nutrition?”. Because I think for 99.9% of people, the most accurate answer to the first question is “all of them”. The second question has the advantage of being objective and measurable as well. The first one is about as useful as “how much money do you want?” (all of it, clearly).

Thanks for clarification,
now when the question got deeper, let’s have a look at @FNFollies link and try to answer your second question - can we prevent them at the current cost of Soylent? (more-less)

http://discourse.powderedfoods.com/t/list-of-promising-developments-in-powdered-foods/258/2

Much better. :slight_smile: I hope the list continues to grow.

Was waiting for the self promotion…there it is!

Hey @Ichabod13 - self promotion is when I mention 100%FOOD and link to it, what I do not do for a long time except threads dedicated to it.

In this post I try to promote the concept of variety and Powdered Foods Marketplace, where you can find Joylent, Mana, Uber, Powder Chow, etc.

More over I consider the more players on the market - the more specific needs we can cover.
And disease prevention is one of them.

Anyway, thanks for attention, since you read the post.

When I see clever mention of your site, on here and reddit…yes it’s self promotion. Imagine what your site or your “business” would be without this forum.

Yes, I’m grateful to Soylent and forum users for opportunity run my business.
And try to give back to community as much as I could.

FIY: I develop Marketplace on my own and free for DIY-producers to help them save on IT, promo and consultation with Registered Dietitian (that for personal use is not so valuable, but for those who wants to sell is vital).

So if you tolerate a thought that variety is good - pls. help.
English is my second language and sometimes I miscomprehended.
Corrections (like from @livingparadox or @vanclute) help me make my work better. Thanks.

I think it’s getting away from the topic to assume a conflict of interest. The side-tracked remark doesn’t contribute to the discussion as a whole and if we’re talking about the future of powdered foods, filling the needs of customers looking for “Renal-Friendly” or “Diabetic-Friendly” mixes isn’t going to come about from just one supplier. In this case, having a range of suppliers watching what works for customers consuming Shmoylent vs Soylent vs Mana (or who knows what else) is what’s ultimately going to advance interest in this field from both a consumer and a clinical standpoint.

If you’re interested, the list I drafted earlier is a reflection of the top 10 causes of death according to the [WHO][1]. It should come as no surprise that 4 of the 10 are directly affected by diet, goes to show what kind of food the world is eating nowadays. I want to be clear that medicine doesn’t completely understand the biochemistry behind cause/effect for these disorders. As much as you might think, Type 2 DM isn’t just caused by a high sugar diet, more recently it’s been linked to chronic inflammation and studies have been able to drastically minimize it using Gastric Bypass. This means there’s a complex working of hormones, diet, and genes all playing a part.

I think this topic is really asking two things;

1. Which diseases can we reduce the likelihood of developing through proper nutrition.
  2. And, Which diseases require restrictive diets that could be made simpler with powdered foods.

Thoughts?
[1]: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/

The DASH diet is specifically designed to prevent and partially manage(so not cure) heart diseases and diabetes type 2.

You might be interested in picking up from their starting point.

Thanks @Tetsuo - that’s what I wanted from a discussion.

FIY: I’m not the only one who can make it (too much work with 100%FOOD & Marketplace), but if someone is ready to make it - I can help with samples and distribution, while @FNFollies I guess can make a detailed review.

Any volunteers?

The way I perceive this subject (and forgive me if I display my ignorance here) is that every organism is a chemical machine comprised of many layers of reactive mechanisms, one system on top of another on top of another, all built according to the coded instructions in its genome. As a machine with singular purpose (survival), I would expect it to constantly react to present circumstances without learning or forecasting in any way. Basically, at any given time, your body is doing exactly what it is programmed to do in order to survive the longest. Some bodily systems are more vital than others, so when under nutritional duress the less vital systems will suffer. In these deficient conditions, likelihood of malfunction (disease) is significantly higher.

And so, assuming that I’m not completely off base, to start answering the questions you stated, I think it would be worthwhile to try and understand what kind of irreversible damage might be caused to individual bodily systems by nutritional imbalance. Everything is relative, so there could be a butterfly effect to some deficiencies that are usually not a huge concern.

Since powdered food is essentially “adult formula”, I think we really need to see the effects it has on people from a young age. Obviously we’re decades away from having complete studies on that, but it is exciting to imagine the potential for humans who are perfectly nourished from birth.

And here I was just going to say rickets. Scurvy. Anemia. Beriberi.

The problem is that most of these disease states are not avoided by a special diet… they’re avoided by a healthy diet. And Soylent is already designed to be a healthy diet.

If you wanted to come up with a diet to cause these diseases, we’d have a clear approach - different excesses or deficiencies lead to different problems. But if you remove those excesses and deficiencies, you come to a healthy diet.

Even the DASH diet is pretty close to Soylent:

Low sodium and saturated fat, rich in potassium and fiber… add whole grains, avoid red meats… it’s fairly well Soylent until you hit the part about emphasizing fruits and vegetables.

The macros for the DASH are based on eating a lot of veg… so to make Soylent’s macros look like it, you’d reduce the protein a little bit, reduce the fat a bit more, and increase the carbs a lot to compensate for both. This would exacerbate the gas/sugar issues for a lot of people, because in liquid form, it’s passing from stomach to intestines quicker than all those vegetables and whole grains in DASH.

Daily Nutrient Goals Used in the DASH Studies (for a 2,000-Calorie Eating Plan)

Total fat 27% of calories
Saturated fat 6% of calories
Protein 18% of calories
Carbohydrate 55% of calories
Cholesterol 150 mg
Sodium 2,300 mg*
Potassium 4,700 mg
Calcium 1,250 mg
Magnesium 500 mg
Fiber 30 g

• 1,500 mg of sodium was a lower goal tested and found to be even better for lowering blood pressure. It worked very well for people who already had high blood pressure, African Americans, and middle-aged and older adults.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dash/

Even the DASH diet is pretty close to Soylent

• Yes, that’s what I mean. We can use the nutritionally complete formula with minimal adjustments in some micros to get a desired result. Then pack it into handy ready to eat bags / bottles and most of people will be happy.

@FNFollies, pls. comment what should we add / remove / correct to prevent suggested by @asympt:

rickets. Scurvy. Anemia. Beriberi.

Prevent rickets: Provide RDA of Vitamin D.
Prevent scurvy: Provide RDA of Vitamin C.
Prevent anemia: Provide RDA of iron.
Prevent beriberi: Provide RDA of thiamin (B1).