What do you folks think of vitamin absorption?

I notice my urine is bright yellow when I take any supplements. I have been told this is a ton of vitamins being excreted that never were absorbed. Whole food advocates like to say that just taking supplements is virtually useless since they won’t be readily absorbed. Is there any truth to this? How is Soylent affected?

Short answere is yes. With exception to the fat soluable vitamins, your body will excrete the vitamins if it’s more than it needs basically. So if your already getting more than you need from your diet, the majority will be flushed out in laymens terms. I’m sure theres some things about absorbtion speed also and about how much of a specific vitamin within a short period compared to spread out over more time… But really, a vitamin supplement is not a waste unless you get 100% from eating the perfect diet

I’ve been on 50-75% Soylent for 2 weeks, and my pee has not been flourescent. That means 2 things:

1. Soylent doesn’t have excessive b-vitamins
  2. I must be absorbing any b-vitamins in the Soylent.

Most suppliments (especially Multi-vitamins) have very high levels of B vitamins and those are what make your pee bright yellow. But that is excess Bs, the amount you need should be getting absorbed.

A multivitamin I took before made my urine neon yellow for a couple hours. Under Soylent, its only slightly yellow. So Soylent is a distinct improvement, and does not result in the same level of waste.

That’s likely because Soylent is spread out over the day whereas your multivitamin was one big shot.

That’s what I figured as well

Those whole food guys do make me nervous though. For instance, I know you can take liposomal vitamin c and get much better absorption. I know this is not a whole food but still there is a pretty huge difference in absorption.

I noticed that cyanocobalamin was the chosen version of B12 and it’s listed at 33% per serving, for 100% per day. Most multivitamins are around 10,000% per day due to absorption rate.

That’s quite a bit of difference, so it’s not surprising that urine would be lighter. It’s also quite likely you would suffer mild B12 deficiency within a year or so and major problems after your reserves depleted.

Methylcobalamin is more readily available but still needs to be at about 1,000% per day to get a “real” amount for most people (depending on the rest of the diet).

If it didn’t work, then food fortification wouldn’t work either. And yet there’s a lot of evidence that food fortification has wiped out a lot of disease in populations where it’s done. Soylent is just a fortifided food.

Next time your whole food friends go on about vitamin absorbtion rates ask them how many kids they know with rickets. Hell, ask them if they even know what it is. Ditto with pellagra, goiters, etc etc.

There’s a lot of disease we associate with “shit that happened way back when, but isn’t a modern life thing” because we add vitamins to our foods. Most people just don’t understand how good we have it today because they never grew up without these basic things.