What happens if you skip breakfast?

I’m a college student and I just purchased a week’s supply to test this out. Pretty excited!

However, being a college student, I might not have time for meals, especially in the mornings if I want to capitalize on sleep. Are there any ramifications to skipping meals? Is Soylent three meals a day? Apart from maybe losing weight from lower calorie intake, would I physically feel worse because of the reduced nutrient intake?

Since it’s a meal replacement, there wouldn’t be anything unique about skipping breakfast on soylent compared with any other diet.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2013/07/23/why-is-skipping-breakfast-so-bad-for-our-heart-health/

The only potential difference might be that since it’s quicker and easier to get a meal down with soylent, it would be easier to wake up early enough to eat before heading out.

Direct answer: As all the components are matched to RDI and a certain amount of calories, if you eat less, you can find deficiencies after a while. However, if you do your own soylent you, can arrange components, so it’s low on calories and balanced on everything else.
That said, I don’t really see the point of deliberately skipping meals in the morning. I am a late sleeper and a graduate student as well and there is nothing easier than eating soylent in the morning. Sometimes I do it on the go. You can premix everything (when you diy) in the evening. In the morning you just add water and oil to your mix into the shaker bottle and less than in a minute you have your breakfast, that gives you enough energy not to get asleep right away in school.
Moreover problems with organization in life, being unable to get up are somewhat mitigated by the normal diet. It’s a closed circle. You don’t have time, because you don’t do it right. You don’t do it right, because you don’t have time. I can understand all kinds of things that keep you awake at night, but trust me, you’ll be happier if you stick to the schedule. It doesn’t have to be the must. It should be just the default mode. Getting to bed before midnight is useful even disregarding better sleep and more organization. Though controversial, night shift people may have higher risk of cancer due to the disturbance in the melatonin production (one of the most potent endogenous antioxidants).
Read for example, this article.
I didn’t intend to write much so, just as I went I found the symptoms awkwardly familiar and wanted to help.

On the other hand, I have read things that suggest there is nothing special about eating breakfast compared to other meals. In fact, they suggest that not eating breakfast is healthier, largely because the typical breakfast foods tend to be unhealthy.
Personally, I eat breakfast if I am hungry in the morning. Which is not often.

Looking at the article linked above, most of the connection was due to a coincidence with other factors. Skipping breakfast tends to be linked to other lifestyle choices which are more obviously problematic, and though they say they corrected for it, it is hard to draw conclusions from studies like that. You can find things stating the opposite

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/myths-surround-breakfast-and-weight/

“Dr. Allison said that the true relationship between eating breakfast and body weight, if there is one, was still an open question. But observational studies that tout an association between the two are churned out “just about every week,” despite doing nothing to actually test or prove the claim.”

The other article is an observational study. Those are very hard to interpret meaningful results from.

Nothing really happens. As long as you get your daily amount of calories you’ll be fine. There might be correlations (in studies), but they’re not causalities.

The only thing I can think of is that if you skip breakfast you might get tired during school and not study as effective, but my personal experience is that I feel even more energetic when I skip breakfast for the first couple of hours. So for children I would not advise it.

Ok, well I think there’s something to it, but debate about that aside - I think @shibiscuit’s point was whether there would be any problem on a soylent diet. Whether one thinks that article is legitimate or bupkus, on a soylent diet you’d end up with either the same problems or the same illusions of problems as on normal solid food diet.

You will die! Never skip breakfast. Skipping lunch is ok though.

I am sorry to continue in spite of @Sintax claim that we are on tangential here.
I think I wasn’t properly understood. I didn’t state anything about the relationship between breakfast and health. I inferred that @shibiscuit , who wants to “capitalize morning time for sleep” might be going to bed late. With the article I was trying to persuade him, that there might be additional health benefits about going to bed early. I have also stated this carefully [quote=“neuronich, post:3, topic:10555”]
Though controversial, night shift people may have higher risk of cancer
[/quote]
I am aware that this wasn’t causally proven. You can find studies on that, that don’t observe significant effect. (I haven’t seen however ones, where there would be an improvement.) The overall problem perhaps is that establishing a causal link for human health sciences is quite an arduous task (Unless the effect is really striking).
The article @Mystify has provided is about skipping breakfast, not about sleep, so it might as well be true.
I agree with @wazzup that eating complete soylent per day is giving you complete nutrient profile. But careful read of initial post actually asks about calorie reduction due to skipping breakfast.

Obviously consuming 80% of soylent per day will lead to deficiencies and one needs to re-balance the recipe for lower calorie intake.

Actually, they said that 1/2-2/3 of a days worth of soylent should give you everything you need except for calories

That happens only due to them packaging more than DRI into a single day. One should be cautious however as one can’t put lots of Na and Cl for example as their UL is only 50% more than DRI.
Ultimately I agree, that it’s a fair point and if the soylent team has taken care of it, one might eat only half a soylent a day and be fine on micros.That changes my answer to the original question.

If you look at the micronutrient profile they posted, it looks like they are shooting for exactly 100% of the DRIs. So I guess they are of the opinion that the micro requirements can scale to your caloric needs to some extent. I disagree, personally, but they’re doing more rigorous work than my gut does.