What has your experience with coconut oil in your recipe been?

I have a good bit of coconut oil in my recipe. I haven’t made it yet, I’m kind of trying to envision my process to figure things out. It occurred to me that I may have an issue with the coconut oil once I go to refrigerate it, since CO hardens as it cools.

Anyone else using CO in their recipe and found a way to incorporate it to get around that issue?

Can you mix in the oil as you need it? More effort to carry two liquids if you’re taking your Soylent as lunch somewhere I guess but it seems simple enough if you’re eating at home.
Although, assuming you’re using other liquids in your Soylent, the dilution of the coconut oil might stop/limit the hardening?

I have always made my soylent with coconut oil (>20 times), and I rarely notice solidified coconut oil. I do have some more solids ingredients, notably shredded coconut, so that may have masked the oil.

However, I do not believe oil will solidify at normal refrigerator temperatures when in a soylent with a good emulsifier. Try putting a bottle of pure liquid oil in the fridge, and it will solidify to a certain degree. If solidifying oils in refrigerated soylent would be a problem, I believe we would have seen someone mention that by now.

I used 40 gram of coconut oil, and have eggs and soy lecithin as emulsifiers. Let us know if you run into any problems with this.

I use it - it probably does make my soylent thicker when cool, but it’s nowhere near setting. I think it’s unlikely your recipe will contain sufficient coconut oil for the resulting mixture to set, even in the fridge.

Mixing it as I need it would be problematic as I definitely plan on drinking it while mobile for most of the day. And, if I drink it chilled, adding it after the fact would probably produce the same effect (if there was going to be an issue with it). I hadn’t planned on using an emulsifier, but I may have to.

@richardtkemp and @Rick - do you guys use an emulsifier in your recipe? I was going to see how things went without it, but it sounds like I might need it.

I have always added eggs (raw, I know) to my soylent. Egg is supposed to work as an emulsifier. Lately I have been adding lecithin for the added choline, but lecithin also acts as an emulsifier.

Tl;dr: yes.

My protein powder contains Lecithin. It doesn’t state how much, but I’ve found it was sufficient.

Just an update. I decided not to go with an emulsifier, just to see. My whey protein powder had some soy lecithin in it but it is definitely not enough. I already had a large bottle of choline pills which is made from soy lecithin but I decided against cutting them open and dumping them into the mix because I thought it would be too much of a hassle.

So, no emulsifier other than what was in the whey protein. The results were not good. The coconut oil did exactly what I thought it would, and rose to the top and created a hardened shell. Shaking it just broke up the shell into chunks. Re-mixing it in a small blender created a weird oil foam that floated on top. So, back to the drawing board. I think I might just take the coconut oil separately although that’s a LOT of CO to down. The other oils that I have in my mix, the hemp oil and fish oil do not harden in the fridge.

I will try using a few of the pills in one of my portions to see how that works.

Why not use an emulsifier?

Mostly $$. I initially didn’t want to use any soy based anything in my recipe because of hormonal issues that I’m trying to correct. Then I saw that the huge bottle of choline that I had was mostly soy lecithin anyways, so I said eff it - but since I already had all that choline, I didn’t want to buy more lecithin to use as an emulsifier and I can’t eat eggs at the moment. I actually broke the gel caps of my choline open last night and mixed it in but I was right…it was a hassle. I feel like I lost a lot of the choline, but it does seem to have helped a bit. It’s definitely not as chunky this morning.

You may be able to save yourself some hassle here as gelatine should dissolve in water. Try popping a capsule into a little water in a cup and microwaving it. If this works then you could do it on a large scale and just add x amount of the resulting liquid to your soylent.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that this morning. I’m not sure that it worked out much better. The choline in the pills is in an oil form, so a lot of it stuck to the sides of the container. Tomorrow I’ll just try poking holes in the pills with a pin rather than cutting them like I did the first time.

A bit of necroposting, but I have problem with coconut oil - it thickens and when trying to mix with powder, becomes as a bits covered in powder. Attempt to warm it up, lead to smaller bits (drops), which after adding milk still floats at top. So when you drink it, you have coconut drops covered in powder first, and then the rest of mixture.
Trying to find solutions here, was thinking to try mixing coconut oil with some powsder, and then grind it so that it mixes more equally. Not sure it will work at all…

I use about 8 grams of coconut oil mixed with ~20g of olive oil per 80g of dry powder mix (1 serving).

I heat the oils together to melt the coconut oil and it doesn’t freeze again after adding water and blending. My protein powder has lecithin in it, so it’s usually fine. But sometimes if I let it sit in the fridge for too long without mixing, I get a strange separation and the top of the drink gets a kind of whipped butter texture.

Personnaly, i use 130 grams of Coconut oil per day (low carbs recipe). I tried many ways to incorporate it into my drink and with this amount, the best solution was to add few grams of Xanthan Gum to have a smooth drink. But i found it really difficult to drink because of the oily taste… So, few days back i tried to make some “shortbread” with 130 grams of maltodextrin + 130 grams of coconut oil + 30 grams of Coconut flour and this ended with something pretty good.

That might be the best fix I’ve seen. I’m currently considering going lowish carb, which means that I’m going to have to up my oil. Have you had any digestive issues with that amount of coconut oil?

No, everything goes pretty well, since two weeks with 130g of CO with a total 217g of fats daily :smiley:

I use a lot of coconut oil and clarified butter in my mix. I have about 177ml of coconut oil and 59ml of clarified butter. Other than the soy lecitin in my protein powder, I’m not using any emulsifiers.

To get these oils to blend properly, I do the following:

• place oil containers in boiling water until oil is melted
  • mix all powder ingredients
  • add liquid ingredients and 1/3 of water
  • mix with electric mixer
  • add melted oils
  • mix with electric mixer
  • add rest of water
  • hand mix with whisk

It’s ready at that point, but I prefer it cold and the portions I drink a day later really need to stay in the fridge.

In the fridge, I see the same thing Sintax mentioned above; about half of it slowly floats to the top and thickens into a whipped-butter texture. For some reason, so long as I keep it cold, I can stir it with a butter knife and it mixes back together. It’s a little thicker, so I add a bit more water before drinking it.

If I let it warm up a little the solid part stays solid and it absolutely will not mix with the liquid part anymore. If It gets to this point I have to warm it up until the solid part melts again. Then I can mix it with the clear liquid part again and drink it warm. I don’t really like the taste of it this way but it doesn’t seem to bother my stomach.

This makes it hard to travel with. I can’t mix it anywhere that doesn’t have a full kitchen. If I want to take a mixed container of it anywhere I either need to keep in in a mini-cooler with some ice packs or warm it up until it melts. In the summer, I usually take it out and warm it up in the sun before I drink it. You may have to do this if you live in a hotter climate than I do (Ontario, Canada).

This is why I need to work out a decent solid version of this mix. It will be a lot easier to travel with.