What is not complete nutritionally in 1.5

Disregarding taste completely (for the sake of this thread), I would like to make a list of things that are not a 100% complete daily value nutritionally. This is not including macro nutrients (i.e. protein, fat, carbs), which are debatable and different for different activity levels, but everything else that is not at a 100% level.

(Also note: There may be reasoning for having something at a less than 100% level.)

Is there anything that can’t be ascertained from the nutritional label? (Omegas?)

List:

• Fiber (48% of DV)
  • Sodium (64% of DV) **100% of IOM at 1500mg
  • Magnesium (92% of DV)
  • Iron (92% of DV)

What are the RDI's of Soylent?

I’m a bit of a dummy about nutrition, but does fibre count as a nutrient? Does the body actually absorb and use it? (I remember reading somewhere that its main role in diet is to help food move through the digestive system.)

I believe it is technically a carb.

Okay. Do you have a source for that?

Wikipedia seems to suggest a distinction between soluble and insoluble fibre. As I say, I am a dummy about nutrition — apologies if I’m just adding noise here.

It is listed under carbohydrates on the label. That is all I have to go on.

Soylent v1.5 contains 1640mg sodium. The DRI is 1500 mg.

I can definitely be missing something; my math isn’t adding up. V1.4 contained 1520 mg, and the release notes for v1.5 says “there was a slight reduction in salt to eliminate any salty flavor notes.”

Hmmm… Maybe we need some clarification. I just was going on what the nutrition label said.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm315393.htm

The %DV for sodium is based on 100% of the recommended amount of sodium, which is less than 2400 milligrams (mg) per day.

Correct. You’ll note that 1500mg is less than 2400 mg.

RL has always made it clear that they go off IOM figures. So the DRI, according to IOM, is 1500mg.

(Daily value comes from FDA. FDA actually takes DRI into account when they determine daily value.)

The American Heart Association used to subscribe to the (relatively) vague limit set by FDA, but they now endorse IOM’s figures.

“Previously, the American Heart Association sodium recommendations set the limit at no more than 2,300 mg/day for the general population and 1,500 mg/day for hypertensive individuals, blacks, and middle-aged and older adults. CDC released data in 2009 showing that nearly 70% of the U.S. population is made up of the groups for whom 1,500 mg a day sodium is recommended. 90% of Americans adults are expected to develop high blood pressure in their lifetimes, and eating too much sodium is strongly linked to the development of high blood pressure. For these reasons and because the potential public health benefits of sodium reduction are significant and extend to all Americans, AHA in 2010 chose to recommend that Americans eat less than 1,500 mg/day sodium as part of the definition of ideal cardiovascular health.”

Can we have a key for all these acronyms? It is getting confusing for those who don’t know.
IOM, DRI, etc.

Wikipedia’s Dietary Reference Intake provides several different types of reference values.

The DRI (daily reference intake) is gender and age specific. The DV (daily value) is gender and age neutral and is the measuring stick all foods, including Soylent, use on their nutrition labels. The DV for sodium is 2400mg so Soylent’s 1520mg is 64% of the DV.

Water. :wink:

@Conor the http://files.soylent.com/pdf/soylent-nutrition-facts.pdf ought to list values with their mass/weight/UI/mg/uq, that would be really helpful :slight_smile: Do you think that would be possible at some point in the future? Just like it does at the top for sodium and potassium?

(also I am glad I noticed that total Potassium just adds up to 3464 mg… I thought it was much higher… So I think I can cross it off the list of potential reasons I get problems after Soylent)

Also if we are going to judge Soylent’s nutritional completeness we should probably at least look at the Xcell file at the bottom of this page.

Complex carbs that people cannot digest are called fiber. It’s the basic definition.

That said, fiber levels are not based on needs in the ‘body needs it as a nutrient’ sense so much as a ‘digestive process physically needs it for normal function’ sense. Consequently, the typical reference levels for “healthy” fiber intake, which are based on typical foods, may not apply well for a liquid diet.

Also, the one-size-fits-all nature of the DV (Daily Value, required for Nutrition Facts labels) is a bad fit when nutrition varies based on type of individual (male versus female versus pregnant woman etc.) Iron is a classic example; pre-menopausal women require higher iron levels than men, or they risk anemia. For men, that same level of iron intake may be a risk factor for heart problems. A single “DV” value is an inevitable compromise.

Well, that’s out of date now that 1.5 is shipping. @Conor ETA on spreadsheet update?

Here’s 1.5 https://faq.soylent.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/202548035/Soylent_1.5_Formula.xlsx

Make sure that within the spreadsheet, you click on the 1.5 tab… there’s 2 tabs (1.4 and 1.5)

What are the RDI's of Soylent?

All correct, thanks!

Nutrition labels have to post FDA’s Daily Values. And RL designs Soylent within IOM (DRI) guidelines. That explains the difference. So, Soylent’s 1640mg or 1520mg sodium (still unsure which figure is correct, 1640mg is listed on Soylent’s website, and 1520mg was v1.4) is 64% of DV, but 102% of DRI.

Thanks for the spreadsheet link.

Looking at the omegas (which are not labelled enough) it appears 1.5 includes:

Omega-3 = .22 + 2.24 = 2.46g
Omega-6 = 15.61