What is Soylent 1.0 Missing?

My wife and I just got our batches yesterday, and noticed some conspicuously absent items on the list. Such as lutein, lycopene, DHA, EPA, creatine, probiotics, etc…

The question to the Soylent team is, how much of these things are in there, but simply aren’t listed?

And the question I put to the community, what supplements have you been using to complete the nutrition profile for Soylent 1.0?

Note: There is a somewhat similar thread to this back in August from before the official ingredients and nutrition information was released. In addition to not having accurate information on Soylent 1.0’s content, it developed quickly into odd conspiracy theories and trolling. I’d like to keep this focused on relatively mainstream supplements which are generally acknowledged to provide a net benefit, even if they don’t have FDA or OEM recommended daily values.

I think these are in the fish oil.

Fish Oil (6.4g) - Fish oil is a popular source of the Omega-3 fatty acids recommended in the diet by the American Heart Association. Though technically only ALA is essential, the conversion factor to DHA and EPA which occurs in the body is poor and direct supplementation is advised.

DHA is found in synaptic membranes of the brain and both EPA and DHA have been found to improve overall mental health and stability.

Soylent contains roughly 1g of each omega-3 fatty acid per day, which is comfortably in excess of the amount recommended by the AHA. The USDA has also made mention of officially recommending EPA and DHA for inclusion in the diet, though the amount is undecided.

Yep that’s what the oil is for all right.

Soylent contains 233 mg of DHA per serving, which is 139 % of the 160 mg Daily Value for DHA. There is also EPA from the Fish Oil and ALA from the Canola. DHA is absolutely necessary as a brain lipid. EPA and ALA are converted into DHA. It is unclear whether the human body needs only DHA or if the process of converting ALA and EPA to DHA is beneficial.

We will start disclosing the DHA conent packaging. The FDA does not permit the disclosure of EPA or ALA content on Food products.

Rob’s original version of Soylent had lutein and lycopene in it, but the current version doesn’t. I don’t know if they plan on adding them or not. Probiotics no (I believe mostly because it affects shelf life), along with creatine. The fish oil has DHA and EPA.

The complete list has been put up on their blog. The nutrition facts doesn’t contain everything that’s in Soylent, as not everything][ has an official RDA from the FDA. Here are the relevant blog posts. The DHA/EPA stuff is in the macronutrients list.

macronutrients, micronutrients, additives

So, acknowledging that DHA and EPA are in the fish oil, what about the other gaps?

What have people been using to fill those gaps, and what might some of the risks be of ignoring them?

There have been reports over the past couple months of fatigue and irritability among some users, even those insisting they’re adding salt and drinking plenty of water. I’m curious if there’s maybe a connection there.

The only known gaps (in relation to the RDA and the average human) is in the Sodium. All other gaps are either not certain in current nutritional science, or related to individual chemistry.

I’m learning towards many of the problems being related to the non-nutritional additives in Soylent. Many people are reporting having no problems on DIY but then suffer problems on official, and not even everyone on official is suffering problems. DIY is generally based on the same nutrient profile as Soylent.

I’m not dismissing the possibility that there is a gap. And for some there is (I need some extra vitamin A and C), but not because of Soylent failing to meet RDA. It could be that the RDA is flawed.

Creatine is naturally produced in the body from amino acids so I don’t think there is any problem there.

That is entirely possible. The RDI as a system is so flawed to almost be laughable, especially if you’re not an adult male that needs 2,000 calories a day. IIRC the way they determine the recommended dosages outside of the standard on all nutrition labels is “oh, you’re feeling bad with this? Maybe try some more. Yep, that seems to work; guess women that need 1,800 calories need more calcium (where “more” is an arbitary number loosely based on how much worked for the few people involved).”

I’m going to speculate that the average American diet has a fair amount of lycopene. Pasta & red sauce is the easy make-at-home dinner; then there’s sauce on pizza, salsa, ketchup.

There’s no government-endorsed minimum intake of lycopene, but it could still contribute to human well-being (in a short-term way, e.g. causing fatigue, not just possibly reducing the risk of cancer down the road).

“What is Soylent 1.0 Missing?” It’s a good question to ask. Although since the OP mentioned probiotics, I’d prefer that probiotics not be added to regular Soylent, because thankfully my gut functions well in its natural state.

Of these, only DHA and EPA are actually necessary to human biology, and as others have pointed out, that is what the fish oil is for. Lutein and lycopene, like other phytochemicals, may have biological utility but they are not actually building blocks of bodily structures, or necessary for enzymatic function. Once you start discussing creatine and probiotics you are clearly out of nutrition territory and in to individualized supplement territory. I am not saying that any of these lack merit, only that they do not constitute “gaps” in a complete nutrition profile.

I also was disappointed to see things like lutein, lycopene, and creatine not make the final cut. Creatine’s easy to add, though – I use it in my DIY. I hope at some point they’ll introduce a deluxe formula that includes all chemicals known to be both beneficial and safe to the human body, or at least as many of those chemicals as they can while keeping cost and taste at a reasonable level.

[quote=“SolveDSMV_ARFID, post:12, topic:15570”] Once you start discussing creatine and probiotics you are clearly out of nutrition territory and in to individualized supplement territory. I am not saying that any of these lack merit, only that they do not constitute “gaps” in a complete nutrition profile.
[/quote]

Acknowledging that maybe Soylent as a nutrition base isn’t ideal for things that may need to be more individualized, it still constitutes a gap in your personalized nutrition profile. I’m still curious what others are doing to complete their nutrition.

Well, if people are going off of normal food and onto Soylent >%70, it seems like the safe/smart bet not to 0 out on some of those phytochemicals. Even if their benefits are not fully understood.

You and other poster are probably right, there are certain nutritional elements which may be better left to the individual to personalize.

Amazon like delivery?

Creatine can have some funky effects on people. For me it causes too much bloat and bowel distress and my performance in the gym didn’t increase. I know it is also supposed to have cognitive improvement effects but I didn’t experience that either.

I think Rosa Labs is eventually going to create custom blends or packs you can add to your soylent. Nootropic boost or athletic boost packs would be great.

I hope so, little single serving booster packs would be great to throw in for a gym day.

You should probably stop cross-posting your complaint everywhere. It will not help your cause.

@ww2098
If you read my opening post, they delivered to me and my wife. If you check the shipping tracker on DIY, they’re delivering to a lot of people.

Of course, that’s completely off topic.