What is the difference between 1.6 and 1.5?

I didn’t get a changelog pamphlet in the box. This post shows the new values, but doesn’t say what the old values where.

There were other changes as well

The Soylent 1.6 release notes give some information on what’s changed, although I don’t think they do a direct comparison with 1.5:

Here’s the 1.5 and 1.6 formulas (which I guess is the ingredients list?):

Maybe someone more diligent than me will compile a list of 1.5–1.6 differences showing old and new values.

Edit: damnit, I forgot to make the obvious joke. The difference is about 0.1.

New regulation will begin requiring labeling for products that are made using genetically engineered components. This regulation will be required only in some states, but we have chosen to label all of our packaging.

For this reason, Soylent packaging includes the following message:

Produced with genetic engineering.

[Sigh… ]

(Sighing the regulation, not RL.)

Why are you “sighing” the regulation? People should be able to know what is in their food. It’s no different than having to list aspartame if it’s in your food.

Yeah but the general public is horribly misinformed about GMOs. This regulation will cause needles fear and distrust without adding any real value.

i don’t know about that. as more people see how many of their favorite products use gmos, they may shift their opinion.

You are definitely more optimistic about the general public than I am.

Whole algal flour: Isn’t algae (pond scum) green? Wouldn’t it make Soylent green? How did they make it white?

45/20/35 (fats/carbs/proteins): Why do they seem to keep increasing the fats and decreasing the proteins? Soylent seems to leave a coating in my mouth sometimes. Are they trying to fatten us up for the harvest? #conspiracy

minimal heavy metal content compared to brown rice protein: This is good, less lead and arsenic.

Natural Flavor: I wish they would say which chemicals they use for the ‘natural’ flavor. Some things that are natural are not necessarily wholesome.

Sucralose has been increased: I wish they would just use sugar instead.

balance out the salty umami note: I’ve often wished Soylent was more savory. I often have cravings for something savory so I can skip the Soylent.

It’s because people should not be forced to do anything. Are you willing to kill people who do not list GMO ingredients? Are you willing to pay enforcers to kill people who do not list GMO ingredients? What if the factory refuses? Will your enforcers just say “OK” and walk away? What if the factory defends itself from the enforcers? Will your enforcers just give up? Or will they start killing people?

People can decide for themselves if they want to buy something that says “with GMO” or “non-GMO”. Companies can decide for themselves if they want to label “with GMO” or “non-GMO”. It always sorts itself out and the companies that cheat get called out, and lose business.

I personally am ambivalent, but I do prefer non-GMO sometimes. Organic blue corn tortilla chips just seems way better than regular tortilla chips, and organic grass-fed hamburger just seems way more moist and tender when cooked than regular hamburger, and lasts way longer in the fridge. I don’t prefer the higher prices though.

Ha, yes, that type of algae is (usually?) green. Of course that’s not the type of algae that’s in Soylent. :joy:

The algae in Soylent (from TerraVia, formerly Solazyme) is “grown” in sealed fermentation tanks, not ponds. The tl;dr is they feed waste plant matter to the algae, which are then harvested/dried/ground for flour or squeezed for their oil, depending on the product. The production algae is grown in big metal fermentation tanks. I think the algae they use is white or an off-white color, but don’t quote me on that.

The sucralose in Soylent is used to mask bitter flavors, not as a sweetener. Sugar doesn’t have that same property, AFAIK.

The draft version of the 1.6 release notes identified the natural flavor as “maltol,” but I’m not sure if that was only in the beta version or if they kept it in the final version of 1.6. I’ve considered ordering some to taste it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Me too, actually. What I’d really like are some options for powder flavor. 2.0 is delicious, 1.6 is (for me) at best adequate.

Perhaps those products are better because they are more expensive, and not necessarily because they are non-GMO.

Yep, totally. I still remember the rampant massacres that happened when the government started requiring nutrition and ingredient labels. It’s the only way.

Only if they have a way of knowing if it’s GMO. That’s the whole point.

Grass fed beef also has a hormone that helps cut belly fat, and is lower in calories/fat. I can’t find the link atm though… :frowning:

OH, in that case, use vanilla! Vanilla is used to counteract bitterness also. I’d much rather eat vanilla than sucralose.

I thought about that, but there are very few ingredients in tortilla chips and hamburger (corn flour & salt for one, beef for the other), so I’m not sure how else they could be different than the organic.

FDA and privatization:

People know what is in their Soylent; the ingredients are clearly listed.

That is quite different than a few states regulating an alarmist warning based on pseudoscience.

I already have a fear of needles! :wink:

Needles.com: Case Management Software for Law Firms
I can see why :wink:

Soylent is very open about using GMO’s.

There is literally no difference between listing something as a GMO and listing Aspartame in your ingredients. Frankly instead of just having a GMO label maybe it should be listed per ingredient. e.g. Milk, GMO Apples, Sugar, GMO Something else

I never implied they weren’t.

Literally, there is a difference.

How about no difference between listing GMO Corn and listing Wild Caught Salmon?

Which companies do.

You say there is no difference, but there clearly is. Aspartame is an ingredient. Apples are an ingredient. Listing “GMO apples” is adding more information, like requiring the aspartame to be listed as “chemically synthesized aspartame.” But aspartame is aspartame; unless it was produced incorrectly (and thus impure or not actually aspartame), how it was made is of no concern. We could go a step further and list the cow’s name in the ingredients for milk, but has anyone proven why we should make laws requiring information like this on food labels? I’ve not seen a single study proving the supposed harmful effects of GMOs. For example, there are GMO apples that don’t brown when cut, but are otherwise identical to “normal” apples (nutritionally speaking). If each had a Nutrition Facts label, they would be identical. Should we also force companies to identify which type of apple they use as an ingredient? There’s more tangible difference between a granny smith and a fuji than there is between GMO and non-GMO apples.

I can only speculate why people want GMOs labeled, but I’m 100% fine letting companies voluntarily label their products “non-GMO” to appeal to that demographic.

I hope you’re not suggesting we legislate that companies are required to list whether salmon is farmed or caught in the wild (although it would be consistent required GMO labeling). AFAIK the only reason companies list salmon as “wild caught” is for marketing.