What is the PH of Soylent?

I’ve done enough Googling and discourse trawling without finding the answer. Anybody know?
I’m using it with oil, but ph without is interesting too, and I suppose we would need to factor in the affect the recommended amount of water would have.
I’m mildly surprised ph isn’t on the ingredients list, since the certainly took ph into account when they made this stuff.

I have a PH meter… if I can find it I will test next time I mix up a batch. I think I still have some reference solution to calibrate it.

I’m not exactly sure why you are surprised by Soylent’s lack of PH information in the ingredients list. I’d be surprised to find it on any ingredients list, as I’ve never seen it before and I don’t even know where it would go on there…

I’m curious to know if you know a product that does include it in the ingredients list? And I’m not being sarcastic. I’m seriously wondering if anybody does that.

I’ve seen a couple of the “hippie/vegan” foods have a PH on the label, but no regular, “mass-market” foods.

There isn’t even pH labeled on a Coca Cola :smiley:
@gannas since you are going to measure the pH anyway… can you do me a favor and measure the pH of the water used also? (and how much?) + what pH is right after water added, and pH some hours later.

Cool! That would be great. Gracias.

For ingredients list clarity, I wasn’t really thinking about the packaging, more the web/blog posts about the contents. Soylent’s been all about transparency, and @rob has mentioned pH a few times in posts, so I was expecting to find it pretty easily in some sort of official documentation.

Yes, absolutely. Just because my water may be 5.8 doesn’t mean yours will be the same. Actually, kind of intrigued to see if my tap PH has changed since last year. :smile:

Why do you care about the pH of Soylent? Does this have anything to do with that pseudo-science quack low-acid diet that I have heard about?

The pH of the food you ingest has little to no change to the pH levels of your blood or anything in your body. Furthermore, there is no scientific evidence that your internal pH matters (within reason, of course, don’t drink hydrochloric acid or lye).

The human body is quite capable of regulating its internal state given a properly balanced and nutritionally complete diet, which describes Soylent.

For me personally I am just curious. Also since some people do ask, it is nice to know so you can answere. Specially in regards to teeths health. Personally I doubt Soylent changes the pH of the water much. Probably a little… Question is if it becomes slightly more basic or acidic :slight_smile:

@gannas did you get a chance to measure it yet? :slight_smile:

I’m still drawing down the current pitcher. Due to mix up some more tonight though!

Histamine Intolerance/Vegan/Acid Base Balance

Ok folks, here are the results… Calibrated with a 7.0 reference solution, original reading before calibration was 6.9 so the tester was in very good shape to begin with. I was going to measure the amount of water but realized I don’t know the volume of water in the ice that I use while mixing. So for now we’ll just have to use the pitcher as a reference. I apologize if this causes trouble for DIY folks who may want to perform direct comparisons. If there is enough interest I could do a batch without ice and get very accurate water volume measurements.

Tap Water - 8.3
Soylent immediately after mixing (includes oil) - 5.8
Soylent the following morning (10 hours) - 6.5

So it appears that my neighborhood’s tap water has become less hard with the addition of sediment and mineral filters to my main water distribution, but not by much. It has dropped from 8.5 to 8.3. I was really tempted to perform a TDS measurement on the water… I may still do that tonight for my own curiosity.

Here we see that right after mixing Soylent has read rather acidic. Somewhere between rain and bananas. But after sitting overnight we are very close to neutral. Similar to the PH of milk.

We could use this data to infer that purified water (distilled water) may cause a more acidic Soylent experience, and that softened water may be even more-so. I think I may retry this with a bottle of distilled to see if that is true.

Pics or it didn’t happen:

The tester

Reference solution (here I find that the rotation metadata in the photo is used and my rotation was unnecessary and counter-productive)

Tap water

Soylent filled to rim of pitcher

Soylent immediate measurement

Soylent measurement the morning after

Soylent and pH balance

Interresting. I wonder what it drops to from a lower pH water/destilled. but yeah 5.8 is not really that acidic either. If it had dropped to 4-5 that would be different :slight_smile: so if the starting water was about 6-7… let us know what you find

I think some people were asking about it regarding dental hygiene and whether you should wait a bit before brushing your teeth. I think the argument was that if is was acidic it could soften tooth enamel.

Something along those lines.

Plus there’s always just the science. Knowledge for knowledge’s sake.

This. I read the thread about teeth dissolving or whatever and thought “Why don’t we know the pH?” I’m not worried about my teeth and Soylent, except that I have been totally forgetting to brush because, once I drink a little water, my mouth doesn’t feel gross like it does with old school food. So I have been, somewhat embarrassingly, telling Google Now to remind me to brush. After reading that thread I thought there may be an optimal time to set the timer for. ( And if we aren’t into optimizing, what are we doing here?)

So here’s what I’ve got on the tooth-melting question:
This NYT article (no it’s not a medical journal, I’m a physicist, Jim, not a doctor) says that “The scientists found an increase in dentin loss when brushing in the 20 minutes after drinking soda. But there was considerably less wear when brushing took place 30 or 60 minutes afterward.”

According to this website the pH of soda is 3, so, if the pH of Soylent is anywhere around @gannas’s 6.5, our teeth should be totally fine whenever we brush.

I’m also thinking that I want to measure again tonight, 24 hours after mixing. Then maybe again Friday night after 48. That should help expose any continuing development of the mixture.

I may even let a small amount go bad intentionally to see if pH can be a good indicator of Soylent freshness. Plus, data points!
Do I cash these in somewhere? Like the same place people cash in internet money from Youtube? :smiley:

24 hours after initial mix: 6.6

I would say that this is within margin of error and there has been no real change.

This is good data, I would say it settles around there.

:smiley: Looking forward to when you get a chance to test distilled water. or perhaps even water with a starting pH closer to 7? wonder what Soylents pH would end at if it had a pH of 6 :smiley:

It’ll be interesting to see hard data, but I don’t expect the results to come out much more acidic… remember that, as you get away from 7.0, the pH scale is logarithmic.

If 10 units of acids take you from 7.0 to 6.0, it takes 100 units to take you from 6.0 to 5.0.

Therefore, an acid difference in the starting zone of the 6-7 range of “1.0” should cause a difference in the ending zone of 5-6 of “0.1”.

In other words, if we start at 7.0 water and get 5.6 Soylent, then if we start at 6.0 water we might get 5.4 or 5.5 Soylent. I don’t think it would go lower than that. (pre-soak)

If we were testing a powder so acidic that it takes the mixture down into the 4-5 range, we’d see even less change caused by water at 7.0 versus 6.0… maybe 0.01%.

But @gannas has some seriously basic tap water!