What is the supplement for kids?

I’m 12 years old, and I was wondering, how could try this? It sounds like an interesting experience.

I’m 12 Years Old and What is Soylent?

But more seriously, the Soylent formula is based upon adult RDAs. While unlikely to be toxic in a child-sized portion it would most likely not contain the recommended micro-nutrients for a growing kid.

I think that first and foremost you should get your parents involved.

It raises a good question, since in another thread someone was talking to have his 4 members family switch to Soylent, hypothetically or not.

As @ruipacheco said, Soylent is based on an adult RDA, and the “adult” probably refers to someone that has stopped growing physically.

for what I’ve read her and there, especially in the thread about the teen trying to convince his mother, not a lot of thinking went that way yet…

And with the project delay, you may be 18 when the final product arrives :smiley:

If you truly are 12 I’d stay away from Soylent. Not just because of the RDA but because this is still a bit of an experimental product.

I am sure they will make a children version in time. Soylent isn’t a supplement, its a meal replacement. instead of eating waffles of scrambled eggs for breakfast, you drink a glass of Soylent. If your here just for an interesting experience, I would recommend you stop as this isn’t fun and games.

While you claim to be 12, and I don’t agree with children experimenting, I cant complain if all your trying to do is get proper nutrition or more information. Just make sure your parents are involved.

(here’s where I wish there was a ‘do you have parental permission’ query or age verification)
If you have your parents permission you should look up the differences in RDA (recommended dietary allowance) of children your age and the adult RDA, both caloric and nutritional. If there is not much difference, children and adults have the same “I’m full” pathways so it shouldn’t be much of an issue with Soylent. If there is a difference, it would be best to wait for a children version. Either way, as this can affect your health, you need to keep your parents informed and involved.

It does raise the interesting prospect of a future world where a child’s “coming of age” ritual is a literal last supper, followed by their first glass of Soylent.

A future time when solid food scarcity means only growing infants and pregnant mothers have the luxury of “real food”.

Ironically it may be that a human raised from birth on Soylent has fewer health problems, it may be the opposite.

At some point parents somewhere will take the risk, when the economic realities of feeding their family on traditional food becomes impossible to afford. for all we know their children may grow up to become the healthiest generation in human history.

Unfortunately there is a pronounced difference in RDI and, more importantly, tolerated upper limits between children and adults. Children’s health is interesting because at 12 years old, their macronutrient needs are very similar to an adult of the same gender (around 1900 calories for an average male). However, an average 12 year old male is around 5 feet tall and weighs less than 100 pounds—the volume of vitamins and minerals that their bodies can safely absorb are lower proportional to their smaller size (with the notable exception of calcium, which children also need more of thanks to rapid bone changes).

For example, the official blend of Soylent contains 400mg of magnesium—the tolerated upper limit for a 12 year old is only 350mg. At that level of overdose you’d be guaranteed to experience diarrhea, as well as possible vomiting, nausea, and general upset stomach. Prolonged over-consumption of magnesium would cause damage to your kidneys and stunted growth (since calcium and magnesium are both absorbed along the same channels). It’s also possible you may experience a serious drop in blood pressure, heart arrhythmia, or cardiac arrest.

Long story short: No, the official blend of Soylent should not be consumed by children under any circumstances.

@williamtheweird: I cannot recommend producing your own DIY soylent unless you have the full cooperation of an adult with a strong understanding of chemistry best practices, and your parents’ consent. If you end up handling any raw vitamins and minerals (e.g. ferrous gluconate) you’ll need some very precise measuring and weighing equipment to have any hope of not poisoning yourself. Not to mention, your margin for error will be half what an adult’s would be—remember that your TUL is much lower than ours. Dangerous stuff. Don’t treat it lightly.

If you end up getting your parents’ blessing and somebody experienced to help you with the preparation process, you may find this tool from the USDA very helpful. It will calculate the ideal amounts of macronutrients, vitamins, and minerals for a person your age, height, and weight, and also gives you tolerated upper limits for all of the potentially harmful stuff. You can use that data to create a custom nutrient profile over at diy.soylent.me.

Thanks for stopping by this little corner of the Internet. Even if you can’t get the adult help you need to make Soylent happen for you now, give us a check back in seven years. :wink:

This is an excellent reply to OP.

May I suggest that next time we get a poster similar to OP we don’t explain how to make Soylent at all? For their sake.