What kind of oil?

I was wondering what kind of oil you guys would suggest me to use. I believe @rob (as well as most of you guys) is using olive oil.

I read some members suggest coconut oil instead of olive. For the taste and for the high saturated fat in it; which helps with the testosterone level.

• Olive Oil: poly-unsaturated
  • Coconut Oil: saturated
  • Macadamia Nut Oil: mono-unsaturated

Any ideas/feedbacks?

PS: here is my spreadsheet.

I use grapeseed oil when possible. Much less taste than the others and many health benefits. Truthfully im tired of Olive Oil in everything I eat so I looked for a change. In many dishes yes to OO but not sweets or cool foods for me.

I will be trying Groundnut/Peanut oil.
http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250088334

Typical values per 100ml
Energy 3389kJ/824kcal
Fat 91.6g
of which saturates 15.5g
of which monounsaturates 48.7g
of which polyunsaturates 23.4g

Oh, thanks for you answers.

@CuriousBen, I’ll be using Groundnut Oil as well but I’ll try to add some coconut oil to the mix; to get the saturated fat up a little. From what I read, coconut oil is very beneficial for people working out.

“[…] since most of the saturated fat will be oxidized for energy for a dieting natural bodybuilder, less is stored as fat. However, for the small amount that is not oxidized, it will be used to stimulate and aid in the manufacturing of testosterone. Therefore, one can keep testosterone levels stable, which will help in holding onto precious hard-earned muscle […]”

Source.

Coconut oil will quite possibly solidify due to its high melting point. However this isn’t much of an issue if it’s well blended. The “chunks” are incredibly tiny, similar to say, powder from a multivitamin (not that you should crush those). I didn’t mind drinking it. However if you’re looking for a perfectly smooth drink… might need something else, or keep it warm?

Tahini and flax meal for me. Working great so far and doesn’t taste as shitty as the other stuff. Tahini is not like traditional peanut butter either. It’s healthier and this brand is liquid at room temp.

http://www.amazon.com/Sesame-King-Tahini-Light-16-Ounce/dp/B004ZWJYWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366596754&sr=8-1&keywords=sesame+butter
http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Flaxseed-16-Ounce/dp/B000EDBQ6A/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1366596772&sr=1-1&keywords=flax+seed+meal

Honestly, rice bran oil tasted better than any oil I tried, an seems to be pretty good for you, similar fat profile to olive and tastes way better. Saw another person on here suggest it and I haven’t touched my other oils.

The thing people seem to be missing is the EFAs, the omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids. In the spreadsheet I set up, I end up using mostly grapeseed oil to get enough omega 6, cod liver and linseed oil for omega 3 (all fish oil will have you overdose on vitamins A and D, and linseed is less effective than fish oil, so you want both), rounded out with other sources, olive, coconut, whatever.

Could you give this some context? I look at product after product on Amazon of either fish oil or omega-3 & omega-6 fish oil and none of them even have vitamins A or D. I feel like I must be misunderstanding something. Thanks.

Cod liver oil also naturally contains high levels of A and D vitamins. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/628/2 gives you an idea, a cup of cod liver oil contains almost 55 times the RDA for vitamin D, which means you get your RDA with less than 5ml of oil. This contains .8 grams of omega 3 fat, and 1.7 is the recommended minimum. Getting all your omega 3 from cod liver oil means getting much much more than the RDA of vitamins A and D.

Oh, gotcha. How about the non-cod-liver ones though, just “fish oil”? Those were the ones I was actually looking at… they seem high on omegas…

They are highly variable, read the labels carefully and mind all the stuff that is listed.

How about MTC Oil? It is essentially a cocoanut oil and or palm seed extract.

Edit: This is being discussed http://discourse.soylent.me/t/medium-chain-triglycerides-for-fat/2718

Olive Oil, cheapest and abundant to use. coconut oil is solid at room temp unless you live in a hot climate.

I use grapeseed oil currently and if I can get MCT cheap enough will switch to that.

@robotrob Grapeseed oil ? I think this is not a good idea regaring omega 3:omega 6 balance. From wikipedia:

Modern Western diets typically have ratios of omega−6 to omega−3 in
excess of 10 to 1, some as high as 30 to 1; the average ratio of
omega-6 to omega-3 in the Western diet is 15/1–16.7/1.[11] Humans are
thought to have evolved with a diet of a 1-to-1 ratio of omega-6 to
omega-3 and the optimal ratio is thought to be 4 to 1 or
lower,[11][12] and it is even better if there is more omega−3 than
omega−6 (especially healthy ratio of omega−6 to omega−3 is from 1:1 to
1:4).[13] A ratio of 2–3/1 omega 6 to omega 3 helped reduce
inflammation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.[11] A ratio of 5/1
had a beneficial effect on patients with asthma but a 10/1 ratio had a
negative effect.[11] A ratio of 2.5/1 reduced rectal cell
proliferation in patients with colorectal cancer, whereas a ratio of
4/1 had no effect.[11] Excess omega−6 fats interfere with the health
benefits of omega−3 fats, in part because they compete for the same
rate-limiting enzymes. A high proportion of omega−6 to omega−3 fat in
the diet shifts the physiological state in the tissues toward the
pathogenesis of many diseases: prothrombotic, proinflammatory and
proconstrictive.[14] Chronic excessive production of omega−6
eicosanoids is associated with arthritis, inflammation, and cancer.
Many of the medications used to treat and manage these conditions work
by blocking the effects of the potent omega−6 fat, arachidonic
acid.[15] Many steps in formation and action of omega-6 hormones from
omega-6 arachidonic acid proceed more vigorously than the
corresponding competitive steps in formation and action of omega-3
hormones from omega-3 eicosapentaenoic acid.[16] The COX-1 and COX-2
inhibitor medications, used to treat inflammation and pain, work by
preventing the COX enzymes from turning arachidonic acid into
inflammatory compounds.[17] (See Cyclooxygenase for more information.)
The LOX inhibitor medications often used to treat asthma, work by
preventing the LOX enzyme from converting arachidonic acid into the
leukotrienes.[18][19] Many of the anti-mania medications used to treat
bipolar disorder work by targeting the arachidonic acid cascade in the
brain.[20] A high consumption of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids
(PUFAs), which are found in most types of vegetable oil, may increase
the likelihood that postmenopausal women will develop breast
cancer.[21] Similar effect was observed on prostate cancer.[22]
Another “analysis suggested an inverse association between total
polyunsaturated fatty acids and breast cancer risk, but individual
polyunsaturated fatty acids behaved differently [from each other].
[…] a 20:2 derivative of linoleic acid […] was inversely
associated with the risk of breast cancer”.[23]

thoughts on macadamia nut oil?

tim ferriss says it’s the new olive oil in his 4 hour body book.

here’s a chart that breaks this down:

http://www.adoctorskitchen.com/about/about-fats

as you can see, compared to the others, a much more even ratio of omega-6 to omega-3, low in saturated, highest in monounsaturated.

This is quite interesting. Macadamia oil has a better omega 3:omega 6 balance. And maybe equally important macadamia oil tastes a LOT better than olive oil.

However, olive oil is a lot cheaper and contains more vitamin E.

Its not cheap but I use Udo’s Oil mostly myself.

http://www.udoschoice.co.uk/products/udos-choice-ultimate-oil-blend

Sweet they sell it all over the place in canada. It looks like it will cost 23-500ml