What simple(ish) health stats could I measure before and after switching to a mostly-Soylent diet?

I’m planning on trying a mostly-Soylent diet soon here in the UK (using a reshipper).

I’m interested in measuring some personal health stats before and after this switch, to see if Soylent has any obvious effects.

For the past 18 months, I’ve been taking daily measurements of my

• weight, and
  • body fat percentage

using some Withings scales. I’ll continue to do this. I also use my iPhone to measure:

• most of my daily steps, and
  • any runs I do

and an Apple Watch to measure:

• daily active calories (whatever that actually means in the context of the Apple Watch).

Are there other useful things I could measure relatively easily? I’m not a doctor or a scientician, so I don’t really know what the major measurements of diet-related health are. I’ve tried Googling, but it’s a bit tricky to figure out what’s what. It seems like blood pressure and cholesterol could be worth measuring, and possibly blood sugar (although it seems like that’s mainly for people who have been diagnosed with diabetes, which I haven’t).

For things that are useful to measure daily (like weight/body fat percentage), measurement would have to be pretty easy.

However, for things that I could measure say once or twice before switching to Soylent, and then again say three or six months later, I’d be happy to go to more trouble (e.g. visiting a doctor and having more invasive tests).

So: are there other things I could usefully measure, to see what effect Soylent has on me?

as far as i know it is not shipping anywhere but the usa right now.

Yup, I know. As I explain in my linked post, I’ll be using a re-shipper to get it from America to the dried husk that America came out of (the UK).

I’ve edited my post now to make that clearer, cheers.

Two other easy ones to consider:

resting pulse rate (responsive more to activity level than diet)

blood pressure

fasting blood sugar (relatively easy at home; you can probably use a friend’s equipment if you know a diabetic)

food/appetite diary: log, for a week, how much food your eat, how often hungry (after how many hours), how tempted you feel in the presence of treats in an office or at a party, etc., and then repeat after a few weeks on Soylent, a few months on Soylent…

Harder one to consider:

Comprehensive blood panel, through your physician. If you’ve not had one in years, it’s a good idea to get one to have as a baseline, anyway. Your doc may want it as part of an annual physical at some point. This will give you readings on many, many items. You can repeat the panel in six months or, at your option, just test specific things for change - cholesterol, triglicerides, hormone levels, whatever’s your interest…

Success metrics

Gotcha, lovely, thank you.

The Apple Watch does measure my pulse (in fact, I think its calorie measurement is an estimate based on pulse plus the height, weight and gender that I’ve entered into its settings), but it doesn’t seem to record this permanently anywhere. Obviously I could write down a few resting measurements myself.

The NHS here in the UK seems to think cholesterol is important, and people over 40 can get free blood pressure and cholesterol tests. I’m 34, but I can probably get those tests privately — I’ll look into it. (I don’t think I’ve ever had a blood test unless a specific medical condition was being investigated.)