What to do with leftover 2.0 bottles: Build a raft? What's your idea?

Hey community!

Problem Description and Brainstorming:

My recycling center and any nearby won’t recycle them. They say they landfill that type of plastic. Besides, I really like the concept of reuse over the concept of recycling. I’ve been mulling over what I could do with the bottles.

So… I could make a janky playground, I could try to make some form of art (like the ones with the beer bottle trees), I could use the plastic to make a gutter system, but it would leak and probably reduce the value of my home. I could shred them and use them to make insulation, but the shredding would take a lot of energy and the electric/gas costs would be about the same as the value of the insulation (pretty low). I could fill them with water to make a cool incremental bodybuilding weight set, but the density of water is too low compared to metal to make those practical. I could use them as disposable cups, but they are harder to clean than a normal drinking glass and the effort isn’t there to clean them instead of using (recyclable) red solo cups.

My Idea - Build a raft:

However, these airtight bottles could be used to store air. Air (and plastic) floats. So what I’m thinking, is to start small. Make a floating pool raft. First, I think I’m going to duct tape a row of 6 together, and then 6 rows of 6 together to make around a square foot of bottle. Then connect those blocks together with duct tape to make… I’m not sure what yet. A floating pool chair? A floating drink cookie?

Concerns:

1. Will the bottles stay air tight after opening?
  2. Is duct tape the best way to do this?
  3. Should I be using these in different configurations than listed above to make rafts and stuff?
  4. What exactly will happen if I duct tape the bottles down my legs and arms and torso and jump into the water?
  5. On that note, could these be used as emergency flotation devices on beaches left around for free?
  6. How ugly will all of this look?
  7. Will someone come up with a better use of these bottles?
  8. What would I name my Soylent Bottle Yacht? How many years of Soylent drinking would it take to build a cruiseliner at 1825 a year? How many vacationers would I need to pay $200 for a 3 day cruise to pay off that soylent? Would they mind if all we served in the kitchen was soylent? What are we going to do with the leftover bottles used by the people on the cruise?

Anyway - what creative ideas have you had for what to do with the empties?

Potential for an environmentally friendly Soylent bottle? Glass, Aluminium, Plastic Substitute

Eh, is this even an issue? There is a lot of FUD and misinformation regarding landfill space and capacity, especially in the US. Here is an example: Dump space shortage exagerated.

I’ve heard of some reservoirs in California using zillions of small plastic balls to cover the water in order to reduce water loss by evaporation…

I’m sure you’re right. However, if there is a better use of the cups than putting them in the landfill I would be interesting in finding what that is.

I guess everyone needs a hobby, but there are soooo many other things you could use your time on. The amount of waste that is prevented by using Soylent as opposed to traditional food is orders of magnitude beyond anything you could do by trying to recycle the bottles (or the bags in the powdered Soylent).

So basically, by using Soylent as a greater portion of your dietary intake you are combating quite a lot of your own personal waste contribution. Now go find something more useful to do with your time and energy than worrying about the ridiculously small amount of waste materials represented by Soylent. Maybe look into how we can make more efficient and longer lasting batteries as that represents way more waste and hazardous environmental materials than you ever could with Soylent containers.

For a variety of reasons, including recyclability and ease of transport, I would prefer something like liquid concentrate in a pouch.

Post the bottles back to Soylent, or indeed their 2.0 manufacturing company. They made ’em. They should deal with recycling them.

[quote=“bbqturtle, post:1, topic:23684”]Anyway - what creative ideas have you had for what to do with the empties?
[/quote]

I guess I’m boring, I just refill them with soylent for when I’m on the go.

You could build a house: http://www.instructables.com/id/New-Innovation-in-Construction-using-Waste-Plastic/

Many cool videos of these “shade balls” have been posted, but the article above uses a slideshow of stills to good effect.

Nice idea, seems to be helping a lot with their conservation effort, but… Wouldn’t white balls cool the water better than black balls?

Time to toss your empty Soylent bottles into your local reservoir.

Ed Osann, a senior policy analyst at the Natural Resources Defense Council, told Bloomberg that the shade balls probably won’t release any toxic materials into the water supply.

That’s comforting.

@kennufs - Apparently we aren’t the only ones to ask, Why are drought balls black instead of white?

“After decades of testing, black has been deemed the color that provides the best protection.”

This sounds like a pretty easy 4th grade science fair project, what in the world were they doing for decades?

I feel like soylent is already very concentrated in the bottle.

Interesting how people can interprete the same thing so differently. I’ve only had a couple bottles so far (from a friend) and definitely wouldn’t describe them as concentrated.

Justification to finally purchase that 3D printer I’ve always wanted, it’s good for the environment!

Turning old plastic into 3D printer filament is greener than conventional recycling

“A study led by Joshua Pearce of Michigan Technological University
has shown that making your own plastic 3D printer filament from milk
jugs uses less energy - often a lot less - than recycling milk jugs
conventionally.”

Is there an app or website that gives you info or helps you connect to other recycling centres in your state/country that accept this kind of bottles? If yes then you could send it to them, if no you could build an app that does that if you are a developer :smile:

I like the boat/raft idea.

Lesson being: throw your bottles into lakes and rivers.

But it could be harmful to the ‘‘deep river fish’’ in those rivers :open_mouth: