What to do with leftover 2.0 bottles: Build a raft? What's your idea?

144 bottles per month is 1,728 bottles per year.

Times say 100 customers that’s 172,800 bottles per year. A thousand 144 bottles a month customers would be 1,728,000 bottles per year. Now admittedly not every customer is a 144 bottle a month subscriber but I’m thinking this could end up being a lot of empty bottles at some point if Rosa keeps getting more customers (and I hope they do).

A 72 bottle a month subscriber would get 864 bottles per year. Times 100 customers that’s 86,400 bottles a year. Times 1000 customers would be 864,000 bottles produced per year.

What would be interesting is figuring out the weight of an empty Soylent 2.0 bottle and figuring out how many pounds and kilograms it would be per person, per 100 customers and per 1000 customers with 72 bottles per month subscriptions and 144 bottles per month. Back of the napkin for 144 bottle subscriber and guessing that an empty is maybe 15 grams I get 2,160 grams which is about 4.7 pounds of plastic shipped to them and left over a month.

Unless my math is wrong, which is often is. And it could be because it’s late.

144 bottles x 12 months = 1,728 bottles (≈ 57.1 pounds of plastic per year)
400 calories x 5 = 2000 calories x 365 days (so 5 bottles x 365 days a year) = 1,825 bottles (≈ 60.3 pounds of plastic per year)
(totally just guessing 15 grams per empty bottle and it’s 1am and I’m tired)

I guess rosa is going by about 29 days per month as their average?

Check my math, it wasn’t my major :smile:

Suggestion: Offer an option to receive a return shipping label so we can send back the bottles of 2.0 for reuse/recycling

Holy **** thats a lot of empty bottles.

I hate reviving this topic but, the plastic bottle is a huge negative of 2.0.

If RL wanted to be responsible for helping recycle or reuse their plastic bottles, they could setup a bottle return program and offer a discount for returning used 2.0 plastic.

However, that would require people to spend money to return the Soylent bottle, this means a cost to the end user. Additionally, the carbon emission of the delivery trucks to return the product. As well as RL shipping off the used bottles to a facility to reuse, which also has carbon emissions. If RL wanted to reuse the plastic for their own products, that would be more carbon emissions. Then, the cost of setting up a bottle return program…

Wait, I think I just figured out why RL has not set something like this up yet. Oh Darn!

You can recycle the bottles at most recycling places.

Since the powder is usually better after sitting for 4+ hours in the fridge, I often use clean 2.0 bottles to store the last of an old powder batch while making a new batch… Or to transport chilled/mixed powder to work… Sometimes I’ll take a 2.0 and 1.6 (in a 2.0 bottle) to work with me in a small insulated carrier with a cold pack.

I don’t want to buy the bottled kind because if this. The powder seems to produce less packaging waste.

The powder doesn’t seem to produce less packaging waste; it does produce less packaging waste.

That being said, the bottles produce much less packaging waste than the majority of regular food.

Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Ok but I’m still going to go with the better :slight_smile:

Now if only the bags were more widely recyclable! And the bar wrappers aren’t at all.

Yea, I don’t understand that.

I guess they were stuck with what Betty Lou had. And since most bars are a sometimes food, it never came up.