What topics do we want

I posted a topic on Pottage, and was about to post one on Pemmican. I thought I’d ask if it is the type of topic people want here.

I am enjoying Soylent as a solution to the problem of food. It has been an interest of mine since my undergrad days.

I know there is a technical maker vibe here about making Soylent better, which I totally support as a subscriber. I’m excited to see where Soylent goes.

There are a bunch of places I can talk about medieval and pioneer foodstuff. I, though, kind of like the perspective I get here.

So if you want posts on pemmican, pottage, hardtack, and other attempts to solve the ‘food problem’ from a historical perspective, it is what I am interested in.

If we just want to talk about Soylent I am cool with that too.

So are we good if I talk about my weird dark age food thoughts? or am I just wasting everyone’s time, and you want to get back to Soylent discussion.

I’ll keep participating on the forum in any event, but I wanted to know the thought here.

I, for one, am very interested in any interesting/ultimate/super/pioneer/futuristic/historic foods, so I’d vote for allowing the topics you mention to be discussed here.

After all, any interesting food might be an inspiration for DIY recipe creators.

I for one enjoyed your pottage post. I never knew such a thing existed till you mentioned it. There are many people on this forum that prefer to make their soylent using exclusively traditional foodstuffs and I think things like pottage, pemmican, hardtack, etc. would appeal to them and may give them ideas on what they can do with their DIY. I used a utilitarian approach in my DIY but would welcome a more traditional food like approach.

OK I am putting together a ‘thoughtful’ pemmican post, which basically means trying to write down my pemmican in a recipe form that can be duplicated.

Right now it is get this stuff, put it with other stuff until it looks sort of like this, etc… It means I have to make a batch and use my scale (I bake, so I have a digital scale) and produce a set of instructions that can be reasonably followed.

I’ll also let this topic simmer a bit, but there at least seems to be some interest in talking about what I call “traditional portable food solutions”.

We are all talking about the same problem, I think, While we love a steak dinner with delicious potatoes and maybe asparagus… sometimes we just need the survival level food.

T

So long as it is related to the spirit of Soylent: providing consistent and ubiquitous nutrition in accordance with what scientific knowledge we currently possess, then post away. I particularly like the idea of presenting in the form of a DIY recipe, as if it provides good nutrition, then looking at the attempts of the past seem fair game to me. I have the feeling hard tack would not fit these criteria, though…

Hardtack reminds me a bit of über cookies.

And the Uber cookie baker says hardtack was an inspiration.

I do now have pottage up as a DIY recipe.

I’m not sure I was able to really capture it within the parameters provided, but we do try.

take a look and comment

I would say you wildly goofed on the portion info. The units for all ingredients should be either grams or milliliters not “portions”. Also every ingredient has an amount of 100. This can not be right at all.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/pottage

Woe is the man who draws inspiration from hardtack.

Don’t stop the interesting posts @toddbstevens!

This is a slightly more realistic version of @toddbstevens recipe. Still need more accurate amounts for some of the ingredients.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/copy-of-pottage

@horsfield my main problem on the project was getting the quantities right I really felt I was doing a disservice to the algorithm.

perhaps you could post your “cook book” version of the recipe here and I can take a whack at entering it into the DIY site.

Of course, I looked at your try and it is quite good, but not right, and I know I am not using the DIY site correctly.

Pottage recipe for best use is as follows.

1 cup or 4.75 oz barley or oat groats
2 cups water or beef stock

this is the base, I’d add

I can cream of mushroom soup
16 oz spinach
1tsp salt
1tsp black pepper
1tsp cayenne or red pepper

I think that could make up a decent pottage.

TBS

I welcome all of your proposed topics about historical ways to “solve the food problem.” They’re an interesting diversion from the routine stuff, and can inspire new DIY soylent recipies.

And the other obsessives here seem ready to help you tweak your traditional recipes to be more nutritionally complete.

I say: go for it.

these all still seem within the scope of the forum. perhaps you could start a single thread devoted to historical attempts at achieving the soylent ideal so we don’t end up with many posts essentially about the same thing