What will take the oat flour's place?

“[W]e determined the mass of the oat flour in Soylent was the culprit of an intolerable stickiness and needed to be reduced.”

@rob, @JulioMiles: What is taking the place of the removed oat flour?

To offset the loss of fiber and carbohydrates, they’ve decided to use alpaca shavings, with maltodextrin.

Good question. I finally tried 1/3 cup of oat flour (Bob’s Red Mill) in my banana smoothie yesterday afternoon and it gave me quite a bit of gas in the evening. I’m really curious to hear how common gas has been with the beta testers, and if it lessened after using Soylent continuously.

Your body is probably not ready to the fiber. Decrease and keep adding slowly as time goes by.

Canola oil in soylent? Say it isn’t so.

If I eat a salad with dressing made from canola oil, I get terrible chest pains, every single time. After noticing this, I looked it up online, and everything I found about canola made me want to cut it out of my diet entirely.

Here’s some info:

http://omega6.wellwise.org/canola-oil-gmo-and-allergies

Erucic acid has never been seen to cause problems with humans. We digest 99% of it, like any other omega 6, and the rest goes out with feces. There are numerous studies referenced within that study, from 2003. I would suggest that correlation does not imply causation and that your research needs to go deeper. A majority of what you find online is demonstrably false, in regards to canola oil. The studies referenced (if at all) end up referring to a single study from 1993 on heart problems with rats. Rats don’t completely digest canola oil (or vegetable oils in general) and their metabolism has triaglycerides introduced to the bloodstream. It caused minor lesions in rat heart tissue, which went away over the course of months even without removing canola oil from the diet. The oils used in the study had higher levels of erucic acid than in commercial canolas.

Mustard, broccoli, kale, brussels sprouts, and many other plants contain high levels of erucic acid. You might notice that these plants are often touted as superfoods or seen as very healthy parts of the diet. In cultures where mustard oil is commonly used in cooking, there are no reports of erucic acid related health issues.

Modern canola, as well, has less than 2% erucic acid, meaning Soylent, at most, would contain 1.12g of erucic acid. It’s not going to have an ill effect on you. Your body won’t metabolize 11.2mg of oil which will be excreted in feces.

There is nothing demonstrably wrong with canola oil - unless you’re talking about cooking with it at temperatures higher than the smoke point, which is lower than other cooking oils. Since Soylent is essentially raw, there is quite literally nothing to worry about, from canola oil.

Here’s some arguably better info, with links to multiple studies:
http://www.nutritionheart.com/canola-oil-health/