"What you gain and lose with meal replacements"

From CNN no less

“We have no single food that includes the nutrients that would be needed to sustain someone across the lifespan of any significant period of time, so anyone who makes a claim otherwise is over-reaching.”

I wonder what they consider a ‘significant period of time’.

10,000 years?

We have no single food that covers our nutritional needs - we need a variety to sustain.
But what if someone was to put multi-day variety into a bucket and mix it ? Sort of like what happens in… I don’t know, a stomach ?

I’m sure that calling such travesty a complete nutrition would be over-reaching, since the nutritional value of such product would be compromised by its “singleness”.

Now I want KFC. Thanks.

I didn’t see any evidence these experts had even looked at Soylent specifically. Most of the comments were based on what you could say even though you didn’t know anything. For example, saying that people might not be satisfied by a powder. The people who buy Soylent seem to be satisfied by a powder. Or the usual vacuous comments about the social costs of eating a meal replacement.

[quote=“casssax, post:2, topic:26477, full:true”]
“We have no single food that includes the nutrients that would be needed to sustain someone across the lifespan of any significant period of time, so anyone who makes a claim otherwise is over-reaching.”[/quote]My dogs begs to differ.
I’ve had several that have healthily lived their whole lives on the same food, excluding their first 6 months.

It occurred to me that if meal replacements “don’t work”, as CNN puts it, then space travel also won’t work. What do people eat for long term stays in a space station? Locally-grown, fresh, non-processed food?

Edit: There is a Wikipedia article on space foods, of course. They manage to get quite a variety of foods on the space station, but are still working on what foods would be brought on really long space travels.

Exactly. Also, my past experience on Primate Chow.