What's a good replacement for olive oil?

Basically I want something that gives me all the health benefits and none of the taste. Any good ideas?

Sprinkle in some unicorn dust, mix it with the tears of a clown, add some whiskey…and you’ll be making something nasty. Why did you mix those things together?

pumpkin seed oil has many nutrients but tastes like pumpkin seed oil, which I like but you might not :slight_smile:

I dont know how much olive oil you are using for the taste to be so prominent?
I use half olvie oil and half MCT oil (QuidNYC’s DIY). The MCT oil doesnt have a smell and is tasteless. I am a big fan.

From all the searching I have done, any cold press oil will give you taste, any great Omega 3-6 ratio will give you taste due to just the ingredients used and the low heat used to make the oil, which I assume keeps the protein from breaking down. I have been researching for about a month trying to find that right oil, and I have given up and will stick with Canola Oil, just due to the lack of taste, it being cheap, and the “okay” omega 3-6 ratio.

I think too many people are getting hung up on the tiny bits of “healthy soylenting”, which I can understand if you are already eating amazing. But my view on it after a month of reading conflicting sources, go canola, forget about the 3 tablespoons of “maybe bad stuff” and enjoy not having to worry about the other 99% of the nutrients you are getting.

How does canola oil compare to olive oil?

Very light tasting, no aftertaste, with an oil/vegetabley flavor.

And in terms of nutrients?

If money was no object (to a point) which type of oil would be best? I’m not too crazy about using fish oil, I’ve been using 50% high quilty olive oil and 50% MCT oil. Just wondering what if anything would be better.

Oh and I don’t care about the taste either, this is supposed to be food that is good for me not some gormet super duper tasting food.

I’d like to be able to gulp it down quickly. With the strong taste of olive oil I need to take it in sips.

I use hemp seed oil, olive oil, flaxseed oil, wheat germ oil, and coconut oil in my recipe. The first four cover all my nutrient needs (hemp seed = polyunsaturated, olive = monounsaturated which I read a lack off can create mood swings, flaxseed to get a 2:1 omega3 ratio, wheat germ oil provides vitamin E) and coconut oil (just enough to get 7% saturated fat) makes it all delicious.

Can you share your recipe?

There is a lot of variety in EVOOs (extra virgin olive oil) out there, as there are many types of olives and each has it’s own flavor profile. Canola is canola, but EVOO can be spicy, pungent, peppery, grassy, robust or lightly fruity, with blends of olive types (like blending wine) adding even more variety.

No one will want their Soylent to taste like it’s got hot spicy arugula added to it, so finding the right type makes a big difference. Unfortunately a lot of low end EVOO is starting to go rancid by the time it gets to your shelf at home. If you swallow a teaspoon of it and it actually feels heavy, oily, and coats your tongue long after you’ve swallowed, it’s rancid. In taste tests, most Americans actually equate the taste of rancidity to ‘good’ olive oil, since that same aftertaste and texture is what you get when eating canned olives (that are not rancid).

Good oils, local and imported, will have the press date (when the olives were pressed to get their oil) and the olive(s) varietals listed on the label.

Another important action to keep oils from getting bitter in your Soylent is to only gently whisk, shake or blend w/ a fork, never using a blender or stick blender. Forceful agitation will make EVOO into bitter nastiness.

I’m happy to offer more info on varietals, or the science behind the bitterness, just wanted to keep this relatively short.

TL;DR
EVOO flavors vary widely, you likely only tasted EVOO that was rancid or from the wrong type of olives for adding to Soylent. Blending EVOO with a blender results in bitterness.

Can you elaborate on this?

Polyphenols are the main component of EVOO that make it so healthy. They are powerful antioxidants (loose oxygen molecules readily attach themselves to polyphenols, locking them away from causing oxidization damage, which means they don’t float around in your system, ), and don’t exist in most other oils, expecially in the quanity that they are present in EVOO. They are largely refined out in ‘light’ and other forms of olive oil.

Normally, most polyphenols are suspended in fatty acids in EVOO. Even in pungent and bitter EVOO, most polyphenols are not available to your taste buds. Fortunately. So you don’t taste them, but they still get accessed by your body after they are broken down further along in your digestive system (well past your mouth, which is great at breaking down carbs, but not fats).

But if you agitate EVOO with a blender or stick blender, the process breaks the fatty acids apart, opening them up. This exposure allows you to taste the polyphenols, which is the source of bitterness. If you only whip, whisk or beat by hand, you won’t create enough force to break the fatty acids and expose those bitter compounds.

Technically you can damage the oil by hand if you do it long enough. But you don’t need to break down the oil in order to incorporate it into Soylent.

It’s not that uncommon for cheap EVOO to be overprocessed during the extraction process, thereby exposing the polyphenols and causing the oil to become bitter, and rancidify faster. Rancidity is oxygen damage to the oil. Which doesn’t only happen from sitting on the shelf for too long, exposed to heat, light and time. You can actually cause it to go rancid simply by pounding the crap out of the oil, introducing too much oxygen. It can be rancid before it even gets bottled.

Once you break the fatty acids, there’s no going back. You can’t fix it. All you can do is mask the flavor(with an acid, salt, sugar), or dilute, or toss it.

(besides using too many parentheses, I’m also an olive miller)

TL;DR
Overprocessing EVOO with a blender opens up the fatty acid molecules, exposing the polyphenols. The overabundance of polyphenols are bitter to the nose and mouth.

Yay food chemistry. Yet another reason to like canola as a fat source.

There are EVOOs out there that are more mellow, with fruity notes that can be citrus, pear, banana, even nutty. Nothing wrong w/ using EVOO, you just have to find the flavor that works for you, and make sure to shake or stir.

Whats the difference between regular and extra virgin olive oil? I just got a bottle of the regular and the taste is much milder, even after going through the same process.

I use 60ml of olive oil in my recipe which I blend for five min every night. I do not taste the oil at all. I guess I have a good recipe.

Do you use a blender? What’s your recipe?