What's providing lysine now that pea protein has been removed?

Isn’t rice protein low in lysine? Why hasn’t the removal of pea protein been addressed on the Soylent blog? I’m kinda concerned about the fact that the Soylent team didn’t mention how they’re addressing lysine content now that they’ve removed the pea protein entirely. Please, put my mind at ease here…

I do believe the Oat Flour contains all the necessary lysine content.

Rice alone is a complete protein souce at the volume included in soylent 1.0

The amino acid profile of oats also shows low lysine levels.

Are you sure about that? I’d really like to be absolutely sure of that, considering the effects of lysine deficiency… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine#Clinical_significance

A food is considered to have sufficient lysine if it has at least 51 mg of lysine per gram of protein (so that the protein is 5.1% lysine) … unless Soylent fits this, it can’t be considered a complete protein source. Brown rice protein isolate is only 3.8% lysine.

I’m absolutely sure. This has been discussed on the forum before and is easily discovered through independent calculations.

I see that the same question about lysine was posed in that thread and never answered… did you bother checking to see if there was an answer in that thread before linking?

Since the link provided links directly to the post about the completeness of rice as a protein, I can’t really respond to you any longer.

Good luck with your fears.

What, that spreadsheet? It says right in the spreadsheet that rice protein is only 3.4% lysine. It actually gives a lower percentage than I gave up above. If humans require protein with 5.1% lysine and rice is only 3.4%, how on earth does that prove that rice is a complete protein? It’s plainly not.

Even the charts in that spreadsheet show rice as sorely lacking in lysine… how did you miss this?

Since I received a PM I guess I should weigh in on this.

The only response that I received on the lysine content of Soylent was that they were working on it and had not nailed down the final recipe.
It has been a while, but have they completed the recipe and posted it online yet? If so can someone send me a link, sorry I’m kind of lazy.

In my lame attempt to put your mind at ease; the AA profile is dependent upon how much protein is actually in Soylent. Yes, rice protein has insufficient amounts of lysine in a single gram. But collectively it may have enough lysine for your body.
Forgive me, but my mind is a little hazy on the exact numbers, so forgive slight discrepancies.
A standard person requires around .8 grams of protein for every kilogram that they weigh. So a standard 200 lbs person would require 72.6 grams of protein per day.
In the case of lysine (using the numbers you posted) of that 72.6 grams of protein 3.7 grams would need to be lysine. Conceivably you would need to consume 3.7 grams of lysine per day. So for the 3.8% lysine to equal 3.7 grams you would have to consume 98 grams of protein per day.

Basically if you are a 200 lbs individual and Soylent has 98 grams of protein or more per day, then you would receive the minimum amount of lysine per day that is recommended.

Before you claim something is a complete protein, please double check the AA profile. I see a lot of misinformation online claiming things are complete proteins, when they are not.

Thank you… I’m about 200lbs, and the final recipe has 114g of protein per 2000 calories… if the lysine is coming entirely from rice protein, this means I’d need to take in 1700 calories of soylent to get my daily intake of lysine. This seems like it might be acceptable.

Thanks for the link, I’ve been waiting for this for a while so I can compare my recipe to it.

​A full day’s serving of Soylent contains 114 grams of protein. At 3.4 percent, that would yield ​3.876 grams of Lysine in a one-day serving of Soylent. That is a sufficient daily amount of Lysine for a 323-lb adult.

*Adults need 12 milligrams of lysine per kilogram of body weight. Convert pounds of body weight to kilograms, then multiply the result by 0.012 to find your daily requirement of Lysine.

http://www.convertunits.com/from/pounds/to/kg

Can I get a citation on that?

edit

Oh wait, I see… you grabbed it from Wikipedia. The nutritional requirement per day, in milligrams of lysine per kilogram of body weight, is: infants (3–4 months) 103, children (2 years) 64, older children (10–12 years) 60 to 44, adults 12. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine

… I wonder: Does Soylent, then, have enough lysine for children?

I do not recommend giving Soylent to children. At least not until it has been fully tested on adults for a while. We still do not know what if any underlying problems could arise.

I’ve been on Soylent for quite some time now, and I have noticed a handful of issues that I need to work through.
So once again, I recommend not giving Soylent to children.

The current blend of Soylent will never be appropriate for children. The problems it will cause are already well documented in existing literature.

Nutrition for children is an entirely different beast than nutrition for adults. Because they are growing so rapidly, children 10 and up have caloric needs very similar to adults, but can only tolerate vitamin and mineral intake proportional to their much smaller size. For example, the RDI for magnesium is 400mg daily for an adult, but an average 12 year old male has a tolerated upper limit of 350mg daily. Magnesium overdose is no joke.

“… I wonder: Does Soylent, then, have enough lysine for children?”

:slight_smile: