What's the GI of 1.4?

Previously, we have had some dedicated users measure their blood sugar levels after consuming various versions of Soylent. However, 1.4 contains the largest number of changes we’ve seen since 1.0 that could have an impact on this, including but not limited to the significant reduction in fiber, introduction of new sugars, and substantial change in overall macronutrient ratios.

I saw someone in the 1.4 opinion thread mention that they don’t seem to have the same sugar rush and crash after a meal of 1.4 compared to previous versions, which seems promising, but I’ve yet to see any details from @Soylent or anyone else discussing this more thoroughly or providing any evidence of the impact that these changes may have had on the GI of Soylent.

Does anyone have any thoughts or feedback on this?

EDIT: This post from @generalblue1983 comes to mind:

There is less of the heavy heartbeating after consuming a heavy meal which you sometimes get with 1.3 if you consumed too much too fast. But there seems to be much less of this sort of thing with 1.4. It might be due to the switch from maltodextrin to isomal.

I too would love to see some data points :slight_smile:

I’m also really curious about this. I got my first shipment of Soylent (1.4) this week. I’ve been avoiding too much refined/added sugars for the last few years, and after drinking my first glass, I really felt like I’d just had a big bowl of ice cream. Jittery, headache, heavy heartbeating, etc. I’m don’t think I want to keep using Soylent if it’s going to do that to me, or mess with my insulin tolerance in the long term.

We are working on getting that data.

Looking forward to it! It does look and sound like things have improved on that front with 1.4, and I can definitely relate to experiencing a bit more of a spike on previous versions than I would like for the long term.

Thanks for the response, @Conor!

Our aim is to collect and present long term data. It just a question of time and resources at this stage. Its key with keeping up with the stated goal of nutritional transparency.

When you have been consciously avoiding added sugars, why did you order Soylent in the first place. The ingredient list clearly shows added sugars. I am not implying its your fault…i am genuinely curious why you ordered it?

I think that since Soylent is supposed to offer complete nutrition then it’s reasonable to assume that the added sugar in Soylent would be okay for someone who otherwise tries to avoid that ingredient in traditional food - especially since EVERYTHING in Soylent is technically “added.” @Noleli only mentioned avoiding ‘too much’ refined or added sugars, which describes all sorts of food in the grocery store but theoretically shouldn’t describe Soylent with its current or previous macro ratios. The problem here, of course, is that at least some people on some versions are experiencing the effects of consuming too much sugar after a meal of Soylent

Are you saying soylent the current or previous has less refined/added sugar than the foods in grocery stores?

Not that it has less overall, but that the added sugar in Soylent isn’t the problem that people are typically trying to avoid when they’re avoiding added sugars.

Think about it this way: When you think of added sugars in a product in the grocery store, you’re probably thinking of a sweet or carb-heavy food that will spike your blood sugar, that may contain ‘empty’ calories, and that could not be considered part of a balanced diet. When sugars are added to a product, the end goal is often to sell more of that product by relying on people’s preference or craving for sweet foods. In those cases, it’s easy to see where foods with added sugars can cause problems as a regular part of a diet.

Soylent, on the other hand, is balanced by its very nature. Everything in Soylent is selected to fulfill a specific function, so even though it technically contains added sugars, those sugars form part of a balanced macronutrient profile and are supported by an abundance of nutrients.

That’s why it’s fair to expect Soylent to fit the needs of someone who tries to avoid foods with too much sugar: because Soylent isn’t supposed to have too much sugar. Because it’s liquid, though, and maybe because of how fast it’s being consumed or the reduction in fiber, some people are experiencing a spike in blood sugar as if they’d eaten too much cake

I haven’t checked in in a few weeks, but that’s exactly what I’m talking about. I don’t eat sweets that often, but I do eat carbs like whole grains (e.g., oatmeal, brown rice) and even — occasionally — pasta.

About 10 years ago (before I got smarter) I raced a guy to the bottom of a can of store-bought frosting. That huge sugar spike left me shaking/jittery and feeling really weird. I’d rather Soylent not leave me feeling like that :slight_smile: