When should I add the oil blend?

I’m soaking my Soylent overnight, but wasn’t sure if I can add the oil at the same time I mix, or if I should do it in the morning after it soaked. I don’t remember where, but I thought I read it’s better to add it in the morning (better flavor or something?).

I think it’d be more convenient for me if I added it when I first mix, but don’t want to ruin a batch of Soylent :smile:. And I am positive there are many of you out there who will know exactly if there’s a difference and what it is!

Morning after it soaks. No question! Much smoother result.

Several folks have suggested adding in the morning for a smother texture. I’ve done it both at the time of mixing and in the morning. For me it doesn’t make much difference.

Wow that’s interesting… no difference really? Huh. :slight_smile:

Yea maybe because I actually like a little texture.

Yeah but it’s the fact that you actually didn’t notice a change - not that it got better or worse - that I find intriguing. I haven’t seen anyone else say something like that. I wonder if it could have anything to do with how much/vigorously people are shaking their mixes? Go figure!

No difference here either.

1. Add powder and missing salt.
  2. Fill pitcher an inch below the top with room temperature distilled water.
  3. Shake until all dry powder is gone. Dissolution causes volume loss.
  4. Refill with water.
  5. Shake more.
  6. Refrigerate overnight.

Does not matter if I add the oil in step 4 or the next morning, same result for me. So I add it in step 4 so I do not forget it later. When I see a pitcher in the fridge, I know everything is in it. Otherwise I will forget and screw something up.

I also didn’t notice a difference, but I am using an immersion blender so that might have something to do with it.

I put about 1L of water in the pitcher and add the powder and salt, then shake. Then I add the oil (while the pitcher is still only about 1/2 filled) and use the immersion blender. Then I add the rest of the water and give it one last shake and put it in the fridge overnight.

1. 1/4th of the water + 2 ice cubes
  2. Add soylent/salt
  3. Add two more ice cubes on top of the powder
  4. Add oil
  5. Fill up with additional water to the top
  6. Shake Shake Shake
  7. Add more water
  8. Shake Shake Shake until ice is gone

That is my recipe to minimize clumping and keep soylent off the sides/bottom of the container.

I, too, have found no noticeable difference in adding oil at time of mixing or morning after. @Snowman’s process is identical to mine, except I keep forgetting to add the salt. :frowning:

@casssax I just got an immersion blender to make “bullet proof” coffee! Can’t wait to see if it changes Soylent’s texture in any noticeable way. Though, I don’t mind the texture as is and maybe sticking to vigorous shaking will eventually tighten my triceps.

Based off a handful of experiences, last night I decied to throw in the oil blend. It was ~1-2 hours after mixing.

This morning my Soylent tastes the same as when I add the oil in the morning… hmm!

Inneresting… had no idea there were so many people for whom the timing seems to make no difference. Waddya know!

I mix mine in a blender every night, I don’t think I could go back.

This should almost be a separate thread, but: why? What is improved by using a blender? Texture?

The Texture is way better. I don’t have a blender big enough to hold an entire days worth of Soylent so here is what I do.

1. Fill blender about half way with water
  2. Add Soylent Pouch
  3. Add more water on top
  4. Blend!
  5. When blending I add the oil in the top after it’s mostly blended.
  6. Pour out into Takeya pitcher
  7. add more water to the blender to get any powder stuck to the side
  8. Blend again and poor into pitcher
  9. Add Water to pitcher to top it off
  10. Put in Fridge over night

Now, I may have been mixing it wrong when I used the pitcher, but the blender makes it taste way better to me.

Yup, this is me too.

1. Add 2 bananas, sliced, to pitcher.
  2. Use an immersion blender to blend them into banana-goo.
  3. Add powder, salt, and 3 tablespoons of dark cocoa powder.
  4. Add water until full.
  5. Shake like a crazy person
  6. Add water until pitcher is full. Add oil now.
  7. Use the blender again.

After chilling, I pour into a blender bottle, and add a bit more water. The cocoa powder/banana benefits from it. No more than an extra 1/3 cup per 20oz.