Where do they go from here?

After Rosa Labs ships all the Soylent to its customers, where do they go from here? (excluding getting international shipments started) Where would you want them to go, i.e. lower price point, flavors, nutritional varieties, charity distribution, more subscription options?

I think that once they ramp up production so where anyone who wants soylent can get it within a week they will run into a new challenge within 6 months: DIY. They’re going to have to provide some sort of additional value to intice users to give them money over buying supplies from amazon. Leveraging their scale with suppliers for reduced cost is probably the biggest thing they’ve got going for them. I think that they’re harboring their biggest strategic competitor by keeping these forums up.

Good question. I would love for them to offer a high-quality, lower-calorie Soylent without artificial sweetener and empty kcal from Maltodextrine. I’m sure there are many of us willing to pay the additional cost. Most likely the last thing on Rob’s mind while experimenting with Soylent was those of us who suffer from various food obsessions, but he’d be smart to look into this market. I’m not necessarily talking about the diet industry, which is already saturated, but more along the lines of diet maintenance. But that’s just what I want for me. Where should they go from here? - definitely offer different versions to accommodate individual needs. If they don’t, someone else will. Soylent has the trust and good will of its customers and I hope that they ride the momentum before big business smells a cash cow, develops sub-quality products for mass market and with it gives weight to all the current naysayers who deem Diet substitutes an unnecessary evil.

For me, as a Canadian, International shipments are a big project. While it seems simple, the barriers between the countries are greater than you might think. For instance, when I ordered a month’s worth of 100%Food, I got a brokerage bill for $121 a few weeks later. I don’t know what happens when people from further parts of the world get their shipments.

Next steps after they get their supply lines to where it’s possible to order online on normal consumer timelines, might be looking at getting their supply options diversified. For instance, I would love to be able to pick up my Soylent at a local shop. I live in a major centre and I’m not price sensitive, so a health foods store or a body builder type outlet would suit me fine. This means establishing distributorships and wholesale pricing.

Europe, Asia and Australia are a different challenge. It makes more sense to send the product in bulk like other consumer goods and have local shippers handle the last mile problem.

First off, though, would be rethinking the subscription options. For instance, my ideal subscription would probably be 3 weeks. I suspect that (a) I’ll be using less than 2000 calories for my age and gender, and (b) I still do like to go out occasionally.

Eve

Love the taste and convenience of Soylent. Wish they could offer different Macro Ratios, or provide a verified Glycemic index for their product. I don’t really want to DIY so I’m hanging with the official version for now.

Also I’d love to hear about any studies about the nutritional effects of soylent they have started or will be starting in the future. I know it was mentioned somewhere in the forums or in a blog post that they will be funding one.

Also sounds like form the forums the subscription functionality leaves something to be desired. I’d love to have multiple subscription ranges; like 3 weeks of meals every 4 weeks, and have it calculate a volume discount based on the more you order up front.

I’d definitely love to see more subscription options (in the vein of Dollar Shave Club, allowing shipments to be occasionally skipped and allowing subscribers to add extras to a shipment before it goes out) along with a few different nutritional varieties - low carb, low cal, extra protein, whatever.

Low carb/low cal would make it easier to enjoy the nutritional benefits of a Soylent-rich diet while still enjoying muggle food for one or two meals a day without going overboard on calories. So far that’s been the biggest struggle in my particular work- and social-environments.

I apologize if I’m splitting hairs here :blush: however, the calories in the maltodextrin aren’t technically “empty,” they contain carbohydrate. Soylent 1.0 is so packed with micronutrients from sources that contain no calories (or trivial calories), that the product needs some “filler” to get up to 2000 calories. Carbs are good for quicker energy, but maybe not much else, so the maltodextrin could be considered “empty carbs.”

I’m not sure that maltodextrin is a good carb source though; there is some indication that it spikes blood glucose and insulin more strongly than plain table sugar. Apparently maltodextrin gives a nice “creamy” texture, but strictly in terms of nutrition and blood glucose, plain sugar might be just as good (or even better).

I do agree that a “nutrition-intense” version would be desirable, perhaps containing 100% of RDI of micronutrients, protein, fat, and fatty acids, but in 1500 calories instead of 2000. It might not be quite as easy as simply omitting 500 calories worth of maltodextrin; but then again, it just might be that easy. :slight_smile:

Yes, verified glycemic index, please!

After they fulfill all the backer orders, they’ll probably work on marketing. As far as flavoring, and stuff like that, I really hope they don’t. What makes soylent so good is it’s simplicity.The only thing that needs to be fixed is the aftertaste of the Sucralose.

Mustard gas. It had to be said. I believe it’s possible to create a product that people don’t have to adjust to. At the moment, I’m using a lot more fiber with my diy. This might help Soylent. An optional fiber supplement could be included.

That doesn’t seem to be all there is to it, though. At least not for me. My diy isn’t completely innocent. The only ingredient it has in common with Soylent is rice protein. axcho concluded that rice protein is likely involved in the phenomenon from his self-administration of ingredients. I’ll try minimizing or eliminating it.

I’d also like to see the artificial flavors and sweeteners go, at least as an option.

I’d like to see them address the gas issue, obviously. But additionally I’d like a “raw” version that’s willing to sacrifice taste for optimal nutrition and minimalism.

And better data integration. I want a tight feedback loop between the customer base and the Soylent team so any problems cropping up can be caught and isolated quickly. It would be a crowdsourced data mine that could possible help move nutrition science to a more rigorous understanding of what we need and thrive on. I’m actually starting work on what could possibly be the foundation of an actualization of that idea.

If there’s any community that would make the best of that, it’s this community.