Which is better? Too much Sodium or not enough Chloride? Or another solution?

Hello,

I am using QuidNYC’s Ketofood Ongoing recipe and would like to add milk as a base (for taste mostly and I grew up on it).

The issue I have is that when I add the milk it jacks up the sodium to 3.121g which is well over the UI of 2.3. I can lower that by reducing the amount of Sea Salt say from 4g to 2g but then I end up with Chloride at 1.3 instead of 2.3 (56%).

So the question is if I had choose between too much Sodium or not enough Chloride, which is a healthier choice? Neither option sound great. Is there another option that I am missing?

Is there another way to add Chloride other than Salt that I am missing here?

Thanks and cheers,

Whoa that’s a lot of milk!
I have more of a problem with too much chloride. Potassium chloride is one answer, dunno what you’re using for potassium now. The other answer is that milk also contains chloride, but its one of those that isn’t regularly quoted anywhere. According to this paper http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/90/05/70/PDF/hal-00900570.pdf you get somewhere between 800 and 1200 mg of chloride for every liter of whole milk. If my calculations are correct, based on your increase of sodium you’re drinking 1.8 liters of milk (really??) so you’ll be getting more than enough chloride. Double check your sodium calc though…

Ah. You are correct. I misplaced a decimal in the ingredient and gave it .976g per 284ml instead of .0976g.

Thanks! That did the trick. I was going to use the USDA version but their serving size is 100g and I can’t find and don’t know how to get from liquid grams to ml or cups.

I’ll recheck my other nutrients to make sure they are accurate but nothing else is jumping off the chart.

Thanks. Cheers.

No problem. FTR, water is 1g/mL and most liquids in our everyday experience don’t fall far from this. Milk is really close so 100g = 100mL.

The density of milk does vary a bit with fat content and with temperature, 1.027g to 1.033g/ml at 20c (68f).

As people noted, you can drop your table salt and pick up KCl to boost your potassium levels and keep chloride up.
Unless you’re eating and drinking nothing but soylent, I’m pretty sure you won’t have to worry too much about chloride or sodium. I dropped all salt from my recipe to help a bit with my blood pressure. Your chloride levels will have to be REALLY low in order for there to be an actual problem.