Whole oat powder? what is it? substitute?

Would using something like quaker old fashioned oatmeal be the same as the oat powder?
I have a high powered blender, would grinding the oatmeal into powder essentially be the same product? I’m unsure of the cost difference of buying powdered, but it would be more convenient for me to be able to use regular ground oatmeal.
And going with a matrix style soylent slop, maybe a thicker unpowdered oatmeal soylent would provide the experience of eating rather than just drinking it.

Oats in (a) Soylent official and (b) DIY soylent recipes

Yes compared to regular oat powder it would. But not to oat starch powder. You should soak you oats in water over night to get rid of Phytic acid in oat. Phytic acid binds to some essential minerals, and takes some of it with them in the digesting process, so you wont absorb as much as you otherwise would.

About Phytic Acid

Soylent now has oats. Does this mean they’re blocking mineral absorption and thus rendering the whole of Soylent useless?

And those sites also mention that e.g. Zinc uptake is at a max 40% without any phytic acid present at all. Does this indicate that the RDA of the FDA takes this into account? Or does the FDA list what the body needs daily absorbed? In that case, zink levels should increase in soylent and other diets.

Im not sure. I have been reading a lot about Phytic acid these last couple of days, and it seems to be something we should be worried about to some degree at least. When Phytic acid becomes a problem, is hard to tell, because no source seems to know precisely how much Phytic acid blocks different minerals from being absorbed.

One thing you could do is to increase some minerals above RDA, but not close enough to the upper limit, that it would cause any harm if you actually do absorb all of it. In fact, that’s whats been done to oatmeal actually. There have in a long time been concern of Phytic acid in oats, so there is often added extra calcium to it.

Another thing you could do to completely eliminate Phytic acid if you dont want to go through the hassle of soaking your oats, is to replace carbs from grains and seeds to starch powders. Starches as i am aware of, do not contain any Phytic acid at all. At least according to this study from China: “Phytate, Calcium, Iron, and Zinc Contents and Their Molar Ratios in Foods Commonly Consumed in China

These lines are interesting in this regard:

• Food Made from Starch. Table 5 presents the phytate and minerals contents of foods made from different starches. It
    shows that foods made of starch contained no detectable phytate.

- Because foods made of starch have undetectable phytate, the effect of phytate on the bioavailability of minerals in this kind of food can be neglected.

So maybe carb powders like potato starch or even oat starch is good, as it also do not contain any Phytic acid. Or just any other source of starch is good. And there is also maltodextrin and dextrose if you have no other choice. But these carbs are easier to digest and higher on the glycemic index. But that’s the tradeoff if you want your body to digest the more complex and fiber rich content of husks, bran and whole oats and grains, where the Phytic acid mostly lies.

Yes, ive been just reading up on it now the last hours. More calcium than phytic acid. More than RDA, calcium that is digestable and solvuable (if thats the right word), and vitamin A and D in surplus. Sadly no numbers hint at how much.

The article I read mention some 800 mg of phytic acid a day would be unproblematic for most, but try not to go over that by much. My soylent (not bought yet) contains 400 g of oatmeal. Thats 4 g of phytic acid aprox. about 500% the recommended amount.

But then again, my diet contains aprox 200% on all the minerals that would be blocked, and about 120-200% of vitamin a, d and calcium… So I dont know how that reacts.

Yes, and maybe you are safe with your intake, who knows. But to much Phytic acid in our Soylent could be a problem, especially if you are taking high doses of psyllium husk too. I just read this: Link. Its about psyllium husk and too much fiber per day could cause calcium deficiency. But it was just a random page I found. Not sure if the sources are good.

I just stumbled upon this - Interesting. Maybe fiber does more harm than good?

This is what happens when hobbyists play scientists. Hell, this is what happens when scientists play scientists.

We have absolutely no clue about what we’re making.

I’ve decided to avoid oat powder. Apparently, you can kill off the phytic acid by soaking your oats properly, but it’s a little tedious.

Someone here mentioned Palatinose as a source of long chain carbohydrates. Personally, I am going to replace some of my carbohydrates with fat while I look for a source of that. I am ditching oat powder because I don’t feel like dealing with it.

By the way, that article on soaking only cites a book as a source. It may be completely accurate, but I can’t easily verify that.

400 grams of oats? is that per day or week? i am taking roughly 80-100 per day and thats tough to get down in two meals.

I planned on 400g in 4 meals. Oats was the main carb source as it is very cheap, and quite nutriotous… But I have switched it out for now due to phytic acid issues. Looking for replacements. And on the soaking issue, you just cant soak it in 24 hours either for it to be ok. You have to add something acidic to it aswell, like vinegar. Or you need to put in some spoonfulls of barley. Just soaking alone doesnt help much.

Any ideas for replacements? Beans also contain phytic acid. I need a good cheap carb source, with good carbs, and preferably some protein aswell.

What web sites do you want your carbs from? Easier to pick one specific. But as i said, starches don’t contain phytic acid. For example oat, potato or maize starch. Maltodextrin and dextrose is safe from phytic acid. Basically all carb powders with the native content in it, like whole grains and seeds, contain phytic acid. So anything else is probably fine.

Just a light google search and it seems like you can get most anything in a powdered form.
Found sweet potato powder in bulk on amazon for about $10 a pound.
I wonder how well that would fit into the “recipe”.

Yeah, problem is import restrictions are pretty harsh on all stuff marked as food, medical or beauty, meaning amazon dont ship to my country. Plus, I would have to send alot as this is the single ingredient that is over 100 g a day. Would probably eat like 200 g a day meaning 6 kg a month. 12kg if you need 400g a day. Thats a lot to send. I want to buy that locally if possible, from a store.

Ill take a look at starches. They dont have fiber though. Carbs, protein, fiber (38g) is pretty much the heavy weighters.