Why are programmers so interested in Soylent?

It seems really popular among software developers.

Big surprise, I’m a software developer.

http://www.Soylentquest.com is the website I created for myself from scratch… (software developer)…

Haha well are you a web developer?
I spend a lot of time developing with VBA in Excel so I take a lot of offense to the term “cumbersome spreadsheets” on your website lol.

I can’t speak for others, but for my part, I appreciate efficiency efficacy effordability and I’m not afraid of new things.

Also I’m lazy.

My from-the-hip guess is that we’re problem solvers, with a very broad definition to the word ‘problem’

We look at systems, patterns, and behaviors, and then try to deconstruct them to their core components. From there we can throw out what’s inefficient, create anew entirely from the ashes (if it was an especially violent deconstruction in the case of hardware), and tinker and tweak, and twiddle to get something we feel is ‘better,’ or just… unique for us. Anyone who says developers are lacking creativity has obviously never viewed a piece of code as interacting lego bricks, me thinks. Hell, we even get a kick out of screwing up, because we always see it as a learning experience (shit!.. wait, what happened? digdigdig).

Personally, I love the fact that I am Hacking My Body (by second degree), and having a helluva lot of fun doing it. Spent weeks tweaking and learning about my formula just so I could get something I felt was right, and then be proven dreadfully wrong in the first few days. Over three weeks later, I can’t fathom quitting, and most likely I’ll never be done tweaking (I’ve yet to really dive into flavoring).

I suppose web developer is a fairly apt description. I can program java/c++/etc for desktops as well - but my day job is C# and MSSQL.

I too, love a good spreadsheet, but you must admit that it’s more difficult to view and enter all the data for each individual ingredient. I feel that my app at least displays the resultant data in an easy-to-read format.

Also, what dunmatt and mrob said.

Much to my wife’s dismay, I often think of things as problems that need to be solved, even things she wouldn’t agree are problems. On a similar note, are any of you interested in 3D printing?

Yes it’s very well put together!

Haha, well it’s easy for me given my familiarity with the software but that’s a familiarity that took 10 months to develop.

I love C#. Java scares me though and I haven’t gotten around to learning it.

I’m thinking about creating a spreadsheet that grabs the nutrition data for each item from nutritiondata.self.com, maybe you could do something similar with your site, too.

Haha, well my programming style reflects my view on life. I try to optimize everything, just because I can, and I think that’s why Soylent appeals to me.

Haha interested? Sure. Knowledgable? Nope lol.

My site already has the same government data that nutritiondata.self.com has ;). That’s actually one of the sites that I found useful when searching for real food stuffs.

Oh, cool out of interest, where does nutritiondata.self.com get their information then?

I’m going to try using your site to build my next recipe.

Definitely, I’ve always thought it was the habit of optimization, efficiency and problem solving.

Those (Somewhat neurotic) habits are reinforced constantly in programmers.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=8964 - This is the latest version based on what I can only imagine are thousands of studies.

Well, I am certainly not the fellow to ask about why Soylent is popular with programmers. I’m personally a middle manager at a cable operator with a degree in History. I couldn’t differentiate an abstract class from an asshole, if you catch my drift.

In spite of that I’ve always considered myself a bit of a scientist—at least in the broad sense of the term. I’m always hungry to learn new things so I can be on the cutting edge my field. Max DPS in World of Warcraft? Solved. Excel? My coworkers think I’m a pivot table warlock. Nutrition? I’m learning.

So I guess maybe that’s the answer you’re looking for: programmers tend to have an insatiable thirst for knowledge. And testing stuff that might break (you).

Computer nerd, but not a programmer.

That said, Programmers/Computer Architects/Systems Engineers/System Admins and help desk folks are natural problem solvers (well, if they’re any good at their jobs… :smile:).

Optimizing and working obstacles is what we do for a living so it makes sense we try to do that in our personal lives too.

Can I ask what you’re scared of? Java and C# are nearly identical.

More importantly, why would you even consider switching to Java if you know C# ?

I wouldn’t really call it a “switch”. There’s not that much overlap in their applications. You can’t use Java with .NET and you can’t use C# for Android.

Exactly, and I like to be a jack of all trades and be familiar with all the different platforms so that’s why I want to learn it, but javas standard library is so massive it’s just kind of daunting.

Yes, but Visual Studio is so amazing, going back to even eclipse (or your IDE of choice) is lackluster.