Why do my brownies do this?

So I made another batch of brownies today, using my so-far best-resulting recipe with some very small tweaks for taste.

Something odd keeps happening. I’ve seen this over and over again and I don’t know what causes it. When my brownies are fresh out of the oven… like the first 30-45 minutes or so, they are amazing. Soft, chewy, delicious. Everything I could ask for.

But then starting maybe at about an hour after leaving the oven, they start to change. It gets more pronounced with every passing minute. The brownie begins to get striations - almost like a rock formation. The bottom turns into a soft (and quite awesome) fudge brownie texture, and the top turns into something resembling a soft biscotti or cookie of some sort. The tops get hard and dry (though not too hard to eat) and the bottoms get extra moist and chewy.

I haven’t been able to find any way of preventing this. This particular batch was quite small so it’s just been sitting at room temp and is being devoured quickly. But I’ve had other batches that I put in the fridge, and I still got the same result (though at different speeds and with variations in extremes of cookie-ness).

Is there something I’m doing wrong here? Is it an ingredient issue of some sort? A prep/handling issue? A Soylent issue? Any ideas anyone?

Here’s my current best recipe in case it matters…

1 cup soylent powder
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking powder (not soda)
2 Tbls cocoa powder
3 Tbls brown sugar

1 egg
1/2 cup 1% milk
2 Tbls oil blend
water as necessary for consistency

Anything in there that would contribute to this effect? I really want to get to the bottom of it as this is the one thing holding me back from declaring ultimate victory!

Do you leave your brownies uncovered? It sounds like the moisture is escaping the top of the brownie and drying it out.

sounds to me like the moisture is settling to the bottom. same thing happens to my raisin bread sometimes. I just flip the bread over periodically as it cools, and that solves the issue for me. not sure if something like that is possible with brownies though.

Yeah I haven’t been covering them. Maybe I should… what’s the best way? Just throw some plastic wrap over the pan as it sits for a couple hours?

That’d probably work well. We use aluminum foil here but plastic wrap would be air tight.

Let us know how it turns out!

Covering will definatly keep the top sticky moist. Wait till there mostly cooled. Even regular brownies get crusty tops.

Ah true… ok so give them time to cool… what, maybe an hour? Then cover?

An hour should be good