Why does discourse say this at the top before login?

Soylent is a default meal that is the nutritional equivalent of water:

Confused I am.

I understand the rest about convenience etc but the nutritional equivalent of water part is confusing to me…

Are they saying that water has all the nutrients that soylent has or the reverse or…what?

I haven’t needed to login for a while and don’t recall that, but probably just ignored it anyway.

I imagine they may be going for the idea that it is as useful to/needed by the body as water, or the “ubiquitous as water” theme that they have talked about, but if that’s the case it could probably be said more clearly.

Humans need water to survive. We often drink water by itself as a way of satisfying that need. On occasion, we’ll have water mixed with other substances to improve flavor and texture (juice, soda, etc) as a sort of recreational activity.

Rosa Labs are trying to push the idea that Soylent can be used like water. Humans need nutrition in order to survive. We could primarily drink Soylent as a way of satisfying that need. On occasion, we could have other foods with incomplete nutrition profiles as a sort of recreational activity.

Straight up water is the best way to provide hydration (water and nothing more). Straight up Soylent is the best way to provide nutrition (“everything the body needs and nothing more”). Everything else is recreational.

Way too much thinking for the average bear…Marketing hopefully leads to sales and if marketing is hard/tricky/difficult to understand then sales are impacted.

To me, nutritional equivalent of water, with water having no calories or added chemicals or vitamins etc means Soylent has zero calories, no vitamins etc etc…Which I know of course isn’t true.

Imho nutritional equivalent of water needs to be looked at again and tweaked.

The company is lead by a software engineer. I’m guessing that he’s assuming that people can understand all of that rather quickly. It’s a common problem that people deep into something can’t recognize how difficult what they say is to understand. They probably need to do some focus groups on their messaging.

The full text that showed up when I logged out was…

Welcome to the official discussion forum for Soylent: a simple and affordable nutritional drink with everything the healthy body needs. Soylent is a default meal that is the nutritional equivalent of water: cheap, healthy, convenient and ubiquitous.

The text after “…a default meal that is the nutritional equivalent of water:” is clearly their attempt at defining the equivalencies (i.e., cheap, health, convenient, and ubiquitous). I would say something along the lines of, “…a default meal that is cheap, healthy, and convenient.” At this point it’s far from ubiquitous, and trying market it as “as cheap, convenient, or ubiquitous as water” is misleading, at best.