Why don't you use milk for your DIY?

I’ve been playing with recipes, and I am attempting to narrow down the amount of ingredients. If you include milk into your recipe, things get a lot simpler. Milk, a multivitamin, some flax or chia, a bit of oil, and oat powder is near complete. Not only that, it’s pretty cheap (~$2/day).

So, why are we going through the trouble to make artificial milk? Why not just use real milk? I understand some people are lactose intolerant, and in that case, use goat’s milk or another substitute, but generally speaking, you can reduce your ingredients list a whole lot by just adding the original food replacement: milk.

SparklingLemonade posted a recipe some time ago, which isn’t complete, but it’s a great start for 5 ingredients you could probably find in your local area: http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/reddit-20-effort-test

EDIT: I made another recipe, but with milk cost and a few things to fill out. It’s still not complete. but it is close: http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/milk-masa

If you look closely, that recipe ***doesn’t *** account for the cost of the milk. ~600g of milk a day =~2.5 cups = ~$1.5 a day, never mind the impossibility of purchasing and storing in bulk and the perish-ability/spoilage issues.

So the actual cost (when you round out the nutrition gaps) is relatively in line with the lower cost recipes that lie just under $4, but is less practical in terms of large batch preparation.

Still, if someone was willing to mix milk daily, patient, and didn’t have issues buying lots of milk every few days it may not be a bad base.

Water works well as a base liquid precisely because you don’t have to concern yourself with nutrient content. Whatever trace minerals there are tend to be trivial, and it doesn’t add calories, so accidentally adding too much only leads to a watered-down recipe.

I use milk for DIY. Goat milk (which is quite more expensive as cow milk tough).
Sometimes I use milk+orange juice+egg yolk+oats.
Which is quite complete.

I was also thinking, just add a couple of drops of lactase if you are lactose intolerant.
Personally I think that even the fat of milk is quite healthy. Quite rich in SCFA and MCFA.
I don’t believe in the saturated fat is bad, unsaturated fats is good theory. I think this is way to simplistic.
And fat of milk contains quite some omega-3, which is also very usefull.

There is quite some whey protein in milk. And even the casein seems to be a very complete protein.

I use 200ml of milk in my DIY and it is nice for rounding out the nutrients. But because of my low calorie goal, it’s not nutritionally dense enough. Further, I want something where I can get a pretty nutritionally complete day if I’m out on the road with no access to milk and no access to cooling facilities (fridge etc) since milk spoils pretty easily.

You could try milk powder in that case.

you mix with water daily, don’t you?

the cost for milk varies a lot, but in my area, it would cost $.60 a day for this recipe, and that’s close to $4/gallon. That still keeps this recipe under $3/day, and is significantly less expensive than commercial Soylent.

It just seems like we are adding a lot of ingredients to most DIY recipes that are effectively artificial milk. Sometimes using food makes things a lot simpler.

So, I don’t know if it’s just me, but milk powder has never appealed to me. I use it in bread so I have a huge box of it, but I still go out and buy normal whole milk.

I go even further and buy raw milk from a local producer.

If you are looking for a shelf-storable millk product to buy in bulk, this company has some dry alternatives that might make a good base material for DIY Soylent: http://shop.honeyville.com/products/drink-mixes/powdered-milks.html

I’ve used them for other products and their service is good and shipping charges are reasonable.

Here’s a basic recipe that’s close to being complete: http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/milk-masa

I too use milk as a base. I typically use 520ml of milk, which gives me 7 serving before I need to buy a new gallon. 1 week between purchases.

I looked at modifying some existing recipes to include milk, but the result was that they became more expensive.

I use 1 litre a day in my diy. I work at a supermarket so its easy to pick up a bottle. Its cheep as well http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/jasons-quest-for-taste-093

I’ve heard from professionals that do medical procedures on intestinal flushes that long term use of milk lines your intestines with mucus, and starts to interfere with absorption of nutrients. While milk contains all of the vitamins and minerals, proteins and fats you think would be good for you, if it’s interfering with absorption of other vitamins and minerals then it’s working against you in the long run and that’s a problem that’s unaccounted for.

I would rather consume a product that contains no ingredients that can’t be absorbed or flushed automatically by the body.

Interesting government article on the negative impact of cows milk on infants:

I use 1.5 cups of milk in my daily recipe. I have also purchased some powdered milk for my backpacking trips (have yet to try it though.)

@NoFlames As long as their is enough iron in your recipe, I don’t see much reason to worry about the low iron content of milk.

I would want to see a scientific study about that, before I believe that.

It doesn’t make sense to me, I mean, is this only true for cow milk, or also for other milks, also for human milk ?
I can’t believe that nature would let a mother produce a substance that would let the baby intestines get covered with mucus that interferes the absorption of nutrients.

I also found this: http://www.entauckland.co.nz/articles/Milk%20&%20mucus.pdf

The belief that excessive milk consumption causes excessive
mucus production is common, however such an association cannot
be explained using a conventional allergic paradigm. Mucus overproduction
from MUC5AC glands is characteristic of many respiratory
tract diseases [15]. b-CM-7 from A1 milk could potentially
increase mucus production from these glands.
This association many not necessarily be simply cause and effect.
For this to occur there needs to be a number of prerequisites.
The person may have to consuming A1 as opposed to A2 milk, b-
CM-7 has to be passing into the systemic circulation and the tissues
have to be actively inflamed. These prerequisites could explain
much of the confusion in the ‘‘milk-mucus” literature. This
would explain why a sub group of patients have found that their
asthma or rhinitis symptoms improve on a dairy free diet.

Goat milk is A2 milk btw.

Goat milk is superior to cow milk in many ways, not the least of which is that it’s typically produced by small, local farmers that raise their animals in better conditions than massive cow milk factories.

The great downside to goat’s milk is that it’s a PITA to make butter from, because it is naturally homogenized, and the cream doesn’t separate naturally.

@Kasper The mucus that they refer is about respiratory mucus, not intestinal and there are studies that will show things both ways, you have to filter through it and come to your own conclusions. I’m not planning on doing everyone’s research, I would rather just raise awareness that perhaps a more critical look at Milk might be helpful in understanding health impacts as it relates to your own bodies. I have done lot’s of reading on the subject for the purpose of understanding my own health and have concluded that cow’s milk is not necessary in the human diet to be healthy, and in a vast majority of cases is actually negatively impacting peoples health to varying degrees. Just take for example that something like over 75% of the worlds population cannot digest the sugars in cows milk because they lack the enzymes to process it and it makes them sick. That’s a pretty good reason in my book to actually take a closer look at whether you really need it, or whether you may be one of the 75%. Everyone tries to suggest that oh that’s a defect in them. But perhaps it’s actually a defect in cows milk as it relates to human consumption.

[quote]It doesn’t make sense to me, I mean, is this only true for cow milk, or also for other milks, also for human milk ?
I can’t believe that nature would let a mother produce a substance that would let the baby intestines get covered with mucus that interferes the absorption of nutrients. [/quote]

Let me address this logic simply by saying cows milk and human mothers milk are completely different substances designed specifically to nourish a completely different type of offspring. So to suggest because mothers milk is good for babies that cows milk must be good for human adults doesn’t pass the logic test. Also I have read that even calves become lactose intolerant after a certain age which makes their own mothers cow milk not an acceptable nutrient to be consumed. I don’t know if mothers milk has this same property for adults, I haven’t researched that because no adults I know consume human mothers milk so it’s not really a thing of concern.

Most people have a hard time discussing milk, because they rely on cultural norms or want to defend their favorite drink/substance. I decided to investigate nutrition about 15 years ago and read as much as I could about it and decided dairy products are not a requirement for me, even though I still consume by choice some dairy products in moderation. I would never go back to drinking cows milk. I have concluded it is not a long term food that I want to consume. Don’t get me wrong, I was a heavy milk drinker up until around age 30 when I started researching heart and human health etc due to my Fathers triple bypass surgery at age 54. That’s when I decided to make a lifestyle change and learn about my own body and nutritional needs. I encourage others to do so, but I don’t plan on doing everyone’s research, just raise awareness that it might be interesting to look into.

I’m not a baby cow, why would I need milk?