Why I am going to try Soylent... (Diabetes, Overweight, etc)

I am going to try Soylent because of health reasons.

It seems that many here are interested in convenience and/or financial savings.

Well, I’m a Type 2 diabetic who is obese. I have high blood pressure and cholesterol. Years of bad eating habits have caught up to me and it’s clear to me that I’m just not good at making proper dietary choices. Weakness? Yes.

I believe it will be easier for me to remove these choices altogether and stick to a regimen of Soylent. My wife and I dine out from time to time but for the most part meals (i.e. breakfast, lunch at my desk at work) are a solitary affair and it would be just as easy to down a Soylent shake as opposed to rushing out to a fast food place.

I’ve used Glucerna shakes as substitutes for meals in the past and I have to say, these have generally satisfied my hunger. I am hoping that Soylent will be a better and less costly alternative to that.

Hopefully, more specific info will become available here and from Soylent on what diabetics can expect to see over a longer period of time. I’ll certainly report my experiences and numbers as time progresses. Obviously, every person is different with varying metabolisms but it will be interesting to see the general trends in blood sugar (A1C) reductions.

Regards!

Anxiously awaiting my first shipment.

Soylent And Diabetes?
Is soylent effective for type 2 diabetes?

The Glycemic Index is supposed to be “relatively low” from what I read in a post yesterday but they are planning to test that more thoroughly later as the current testing hasn’t yet been official from what it sounded.

I, too, am hoping to lose weight with Soylent. At the crossroads of being annoyed with interruptions in my day to plan, purchase, and prepare food, and the unavailability of cheap, fast, nutritious food options, I have gotten quite fat over the years. Not yet diabetic, thankfully, but what they call “pre-diabetic” anyway. High blood pressure for which I am taking pills.

So I’m very hopeful that getting myself into a regimen of eating a specific amount of calories in a healthful balance of calories/carbs/fat, and forcing myself to eat only my allowed amount of Soylent at the prescribed times will allow me to get under control these health issues that persist as a result of my poor choices in food.

Don’t get down on yourself - these choices are very hard, and research is showing that it is truly harder for some people to eat healtfhully, with hunger being felt more strongly, and urges to eat being more frequent and difficult to refuse.

I’m looking forward to setting a timer for every 2 or 3 hours to drink down a specified amount of nutrition so that I hopefully avoid hunger pangs and can slowly train my body to get used to eating only the amount of nutrition I really need in a day.

Fortunately I get 40 minutes of exercise 4-5 days a week, so that obviously isn’t hurting. But the food habits in my life are just bunk, and Soylent finally (or eventually, depending on how you look at it) makes it easy to replace my poor choices with healthy choices for what for me is an equal amount of money to what I am already spending on food.

I started my diabetic overweight father on a custom recipe of soylent the day after christmas. we’ve tweaked it so most of his carbs come from the slow absorbing oat flour(based on low carb DRI). His sugar was running very high(200-300) regularly and i wanted to get it under control a more reasonable way than more pills/insulin. His sugar has been in normal ranges ever since he went on it and he says he feels fantastic. He does breakfast/lunch on soylent and eats a normal dinner with my mother. This has honestly been a godsend for him because it’s the easiest diet he’s ever been on. He has more energy and isn’t hungry.

I’m really glad to hear the good news about your dad’s health.

I hope I’m not deluding myself or getting my hopes up too much, but I have this expectation that the result of me eating Soylent 90% of the time or more will be rapid weight loss, quickly improved mental clarity and energy levels, and an immediate resolution to the needs for supplements (except maybe Vitamin D, since I live in Seattle and am always indoors). I just really do believe that I’m going to feel really good and my body is going to be thanking me for the rest of my life.

Olive - thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully the savings due to a reduction of meds and insulin will more than pay for Soylent.

Elemental - that’s encouraging news about your father. Thanks.

I started on DIY Soylent because my mental energy drops quite often after meals. I could deduct it has to do with sugar. Even one can of softdrink can make me tired for an hour or more. I am not diabetic, had it tested several times. I just have high suger spikes, and then deep sugar lows.
Unfortunately my DIY Soylent made it worse… Maltodextrin has a glycemic index of 150, so that just rushed through my body and my brain, and I couldn’t concentrate for several hours. Using only oat for calories didn’t help either. Guess I have to tweak a little more, but I can’t afford to experiment with Soylent breakfast or lunch on working days, since I lose half a day when it goes wrong.

Not necessarily. Some maltodextrin is no better than sugar, while other maltodextrin is much closer to starch.

Careful with that thinking. Soylent isn’t some magical substance. It’s food.

An absolutely valid point indeed. It’s not magic. But it is SIMPLE. And that’s what I need. Something that doesn’t complicate my life by forcing me to decipher what foods will be appetizing while also not making me fat. I was raised in the midwest on meat and potatoes, lots of deep fried things, and a big side of mashed potatoes and gravy. This is what I know how to cook (bless you, grandma!), this is what I crave, this is what I eat when left to my own devices. It tastes good.

I look forward to Soylent because it eliminates all the guesswork at providing a balanced diet. That, specifically, is where I fail. Coming up with the foods to buy and prepare, which I will actually eat once I’ve prepared them, and which are also very good for me. I just can’t do it. And I can’t afford my own personal chef. This is, I hope, an answer to these dilemmas in my life.

But in the end, it’s my choice, as it always has been, what, and how much, to put in my mouth. I don’t deny that at all, so the real test will be whether I can exhibit the willpower to stick with Soylent for 90% of my food intake, at the proper levels for gradual weight loss. Fortunately, I do not lack willpower. I lack skills and the interest in salad. I also am not interested (thus, I have not the will) to learn to cook and eat better. I admit that. Also my choice, and that makes it basically my fault for being fat. Again, no argument.

So I can see where you’re coming from.

Again, all I can say is that Soylent takes the work out of doing what is right for my body. That’s where I see it providing me a chance to succeed where in the past I have failed at making good choices.

As long as I don’t eat 2 days of Soylent every day, I should be fine. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, it’s the simplicity that I’m after also. If I were rich, I’d be hiring someone to prepare meals to a set nutritional goal and calories. They can look up all the values on the databases and combine them into a total plan that doesn’t repel (with age, I’m developing more and more food aversions).

I’m not rich.

So the next best thing is something that I can do myself. If I’m hungry I reach for the jug. I can track the nutritional thing each time I activate the blender with a new packet.

Eve

Hi Elemental!

My boyfriend has had Type 2 Diabetes for three years now and due to his super busy schedule, manages it terribly. I want to get him on Soylent to help his weight loss and help manage his blood sugar (which like your father’s is consistently way too high) Anyway you can post your recipe on here for him to try out?! It sounds like it works great!

However, starch has a higher glycemic index than sugar. Maltodextrins have a higher glycemic index than sugar. Generally over 100 (where 100 is glucose.)

For a mix like a DIY Soylent, you should not single out a single ingredient when assessing glycemic index. It acts as a compound substance.

You may be able to temper the GI by making sure to add plenty of fiber, and protein, and fats. If you’re low on those, the resulting mix will have a higher GI.

Soylents will necessarily be on the high-GI side, even from the oat flour, because it’s a pre-soaked liquid. This will help the carbs in it be easily absorbed.

This PDF has a very good write-up of how different elements of a food lead to higher and lower GI values:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDcQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.glycemicindex.com%2FcmsAdmin%2Fuploads%2Fglycemicindex.ppt&ei=HKoVVKrvOtD2yQTwkYHQBQ&usg=AFQjCNHfjhujdiolwDcNUETrNPigxLftOg&sig2=cuuptMVAXrq3FgTp56SwsA

(And slide 14 explains why starch has a higher GI than sugar.)

I am just barely pre-diabetic. My A1C is 5.7%. I have formulated my own soylent recipe and plan on drinking it for the majority of my calories. My nutritional goals is to lower my A1C and put on a little muscle.

One thing that concerns me about my recipe is the whey protein has “digestive enzymes” in it to make it easier for me body to process. I’m a little worried that the enzymes are breaking down the masa hirena during the night and changing the complex carbs into simple carbs. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am a type2 who started a keto diy version of soylent in January. It has been a great help to my blood sugar control. I eat my diy for breakfast and lunch every day and then try to have a sensible dinner.

I also tested 1 bag or 3 meals worth of official Soylent. My sugars went through the roof.

I would be very cautious with the official Soylent if I were you and be sure to test before and after every meal. All diabetics react differently to carbs so it may be fine for you.

If you divide one bag of Soylent into 3 meals, you will be getting 84g of carbs per meal. Does that fall within an optimal range for you?

Which whey protein are you using? I all depends what enzymes are being used.

I’m @Ask_the_Dietitian over on the powdered foods forum and I wanted to chime in a little on this thread to clarify some points.

@horsfield if you link me to the product you’re using for whey I’ll take a look at what enzymes they’re using but from I’ve seen these added enzymes are almost always proteases. In enzymes (these end in -ase) you have 3 basic classes, Proteases that breakdown proteins, Amylases that breakdown starches, and Lipases that break down fats. There’s a lot of subcategories like Lactase to breakdown lactose, Maltase - maltose, Dextrinase - dextrose, etc. The “added enzymes” comes from a common belief that when consuming excessive amounts of protein you can’t digest it all, so manufacturers add proteases to help. This should have little to no effect on absorption of your carb source.

@MentalNomad and @jrowe47 starch by definition is made up of chains of sugar so assuming they’re digested properly the starch will cause a higher blood sugar spike than pure sugar. Glycemic Index is no longer the only factor when looking at blood sugar spikes though, Glycemic Load is more valuable in Diabetics because someone who eats say 1lb of even non-starchy vegetables might still be getting a greater amount of sugars to the blood over a couple hours than someone eating a piece of candy. So even if maltodextrins have higher GI than sugar, the grams of total carbs for each will affect the Load response from each.

@evilOlive and @figurative, the biggest benefit from using powdered foods is exactly what you’re describing… control. So many Diabetics I’ve counseled have no idea how to count their carbohydrates and usually over-estimate how much they’ve already consumed for that day. Powdered foods make it straight-forward and defined. That being said, For someone with Diabetes, the goal is around 165 grams for an 1800 calorie diet, and around 210 grams for a 2000 calorie diet. Although it’s not perfect, Marion Chow seems to be the closest to this at the moment with 198 grams for an 1800 calorie mixture. Try aiming for 35-40% of your calories coming mostly from complex carbohydrates; whole grains, non-starchy vegetables, and fruits. Soylent (252g) is a little too high to be considered Diabetic-Friendly. And keep up the good work!

Glycemic load will also be impacted by fiber and the presence of macronutrients, modifying the total impact of the metabolized carbs. The idea being that it will take longer to fully digest the carbs in something like Soylent than in isolation - eating a potato, vs eating a potato with steak and salad. The first scenario should result in a blood sugar spike more extreme than in the second. An equation that complements glycemic load with other foods being consumed to produce an actual glycemic load would be beneficial - you’d be in a better position to come up with the numbers.

We’d need to know the average rate of digestion for carbs, based on glycemic index, in terms of the effect on blood sugar. Then we’d need to know how the rate of digestion is affected by fiber, protein, and fat. Then we’d be able to plug in a particular nutrient profile and get a generic overview of how it should affect blood sugar over a given period of time… which would be far more helpful than a static generalization.

@MentalNomad and @FNFollies I use this for my whey protein.

That has a proteolytic enzyme. Breaks down longer proteins into shorter proteins to make them more easily digestible.

It may break down some of the proteins in the masa harina, but will not break down the carbs.