Why is there no "Gain Weight" in the Nutrient Profiles page?

As someone who needs to gain weight badly due to stress and certain other circumstances, I wish there was an option for “Gain Weight” in the Nutrient Profiles page. I know that I can get the information elsewhere, but I assume that the Nutrient Profiles page helps you when you are looking at and setting up recipes, directing you a little bit on what you need to add and subtract to get the exact nutrients and things you need.

I know that there is a problem with obesity (especially here in the USA, where I am from), and a lot of people are probably using Soylent to lose weight or maintain their weight. But there still are some of us out there, though we may be a very small minority, that need to gain weight- and want to do it quickly. I plan on trying to find or make a recipe that can give me as many calories as possible, well above the standard 2000 calories suggested for an adult. Basically, I want to try to take in as many calories a day as my body can possibly handle, so I can gain all my weight back and more- as fast as possible. (if curious about my weight loss, it’s in my profile on this forum)

I heard about Soylent a long time ago when it was still on Kickstarter or wherever it was, then heard about the DIY site. I am just now finally getting around to getting into it, as there is an urgency at this point for me to gain weight. And even if I start with 2000 calories a day, I’m sure that’s certainly more than I get now with regular food.

But enough about me! So how about adding an option to the profiles to gain weight?

I would gather there isn’t a ‘gain weight’ option because of how many unknowns there are to such an option, not the least of which are the individual needs of a person. You can’t actually just throw in more calories and expect your body to react by turning the left overs into fat or muscle mass, and for the most part we’re still trying to figure out how protein, fat, and carb ratios affect different body types in different ways. Just throwing in more calories will, in all likeliness, just result in more pooping.

Are you trying to gain muscle mass? Theoretically, you would add protein while also pairing that kind of diet with a workout regime.

Gain body fat? Current research and discussions across the forums seem to suggest a higher carb mix can help in that regard. But what about long term effects? Will you just begin to lose weight again if you switch over to a ‘normal’ carb ratio (which many are still discussing what a ‘normal’ carb, fat, and protein ratio should be).

So far S/soylent has figured out how to give you the basics of what you need in a simple, straight forward, and cheap solution. From there, most figure out what they need or are more comfortable with after the fact, and adjust accordingly.

That is as good a place to start as any; see how your body reacts on a ‘basic’ or common formula, and go from there. Good luck!

Indeed, what mrob said. If you want to gain wight you would tailor your own nutrient profile.

There are some significant shortcuts I’ve learned over the years to gain weight though:

• mix vanilla ice cream and peanut butter, it’s like crack
  • go to a gym and breathe in all the fat people are losing (this one usually doesn’t work)
  • The Michael Phelps diet

Hi Serra, welcome to the forum!

I’m sorry to hear about the struggles you’ve been facing. My sister ended up in a similar situation after her husband was injured in combat. I actually work for Social Security. It’s good to hear that you’re in the system, it’s there to help. :smile:

Regarding weight gain, cost is most certainly going to be an issue. By definition, eating more calories means spending more money on supplies.
To be honest, I’d think the best, most direct method would be drinking lots of whole milk. Seriously. It’s great protein, high in calories (in a good way), and has a decent balance of carbs, fats, and protein.

Pick a popular recipe with a low per-day cost. You could use the milk instead of water in your shakes. The only particular downside is that milk is currently hovering around $4 a gallon (at least in my area) and you’ll probably want to be drinking at least a half gallon a day. The cost can add up pretty quickly.

If you have SNAP or WIC (if you’re on SSI, you probably qualify) then the milk should be covered, which would be convenient.

Where do you live? In Utah, milk is around $2.30USD right now.
It is crazy, though. When I was in Virginia, milk was usually about $4/gallon.

Maryland. Suburban areas near DC pay through the nose (or udder?) for milk. It’s impossible to find cheaper than $3.25/gal.

But seriously, adding a half gallon a day to any soylent recipe **will **help with gaining weight and may also help a little bit with relieving your osteoarthitis.

But I’m not a doctor, so that’s not a promise. :smile:

You may have to worry about iron uptake (which is inhibited by calcium) and balancing some of your other nutrients (such as zinc and folate).

Good luck!

With my 6 kids (no that’s not a joke) we typically buy our milk at Sams-Club, it’s been $2 a gallon for whole, 2%, 1% and skim (all type are the same for some reason) for the last year that I’ve been paying attention.

Indeed, I do get the food card, and we get $170 a month, which really doesn’t go as far as one would think, but we get the cheapest food we can that are off brand and constantly look at the unit price to find the best deals.

The price of milk in the 50 mile radius around here is really expensive as some of the other people have said, and unfortunately we don’t have anywhere that has the super cheap milk like other people have mentioned. So adding something that would cost around $2-$2.50 extra a day is pretty much out of the question for me, as I was wanting to keep my recipe at around $50-$60 a month so my husband could use the rest of the food card money for his food and pop (soda) for both of us. Yes, I must still have my pop (soda)!

I’ve been tinkering around with a recipe though, and it’s not turning out too badly so far, though I do have a crapload too much iron in it.

Feel free to share the recipe if you’re looking for help. But I must say, if you’re looking to go exclusively soylent, then $60 a month is probably unattainable. If you’re talking about supplementing with soylent for a couple meals a day, it might be doable.