Why not add the total water DRI to a batch of Soylent?

The IOM said in 2004 that men should (on average) drink 3.7 liters of water in a day, and that women should drink 2.7 liters. Typically, 20% of a person’s water intake comes from the food they eat, where the rest comes from drinking water or other beverages.

It recently occurred to me… why not simply add the rest of the needed water to a batch of Soylent?

Currently, 1.8-1.9L of water is added to a typical batch. Here’s what the procedure could look like:

1. Make a batch.
  2. Let it soak overnight.
  3. Mix it again in the morning, add oil.
  4. Pour equal amount of Soylent into 3 of these guys.
  5. Add required water intake into each bottle.
  6. Consume as necessary.

Possible benefits:

• Not having to worry about consuming enough water in addition to Soylent.
  • Possible reduced acidity due to dilution of Soylent, hence less destruction to tooth enamel.
  • Possibly less gritty texture.

What do you think? Would it be worth exploring this further? Has anyone tried diluting Soylent to these levels, and was the taste still bearable?

As far as I am aware, Soylent when mixed with water is not actually (much) more acidic than the water you put it in. :slight_smile: but yeah, sounds like a decent idea to use more water. I haven’t had a chance to measure the pH before and after… but I welcome someone else to do so.

Unless you’re consuming a lot of acidic things (like lemon juice), the acids that are primarily responsible for tooth decay are due to the breakdown of sugars by bacteria in the mouth, rather than the acids in the foods themselves.

Personally, I prefer to break my consumption down to hunger and thirst - drink Soylent when I’m hungry, and water when I’m thirsty. I’m also a carbonation addict, though, so that may have something to do with it. I adore my bubbly water.

Isn’t the maltodextrin basically a sugar, though?

Maltodextrin is a starch.

Ah, okay. My knowledge of food science is frighteningly limited.

Maltodextrin is between sugar and starch. Literally. It’s made by taking a starch and starting to convert it to sugar, but stopping after you’ve only done 15 or 20% of the work. So it’s arguably more like starch than sugar.

But if your concern was for tooth health when bacteria break down a simple carbohydrate, I think you’re pretty much in the same boat with sugar, maltodextrose, or starch. Your saliva converts starch and maltodextrin into sugar.

And that would be my concern with diluting your soylent into all the water you drink - you’re constantly feeding the bacteria on your teeth which secrete acid directly onto your enamel as they process the simple carbs.

I mix my Soylent up like normal (1.6L of water + Soylent + oil = 2L). Then when I drink it I pour a certain amount (say 250ml) into a blender bottle and add about another 100ml of water).

I do this mostly so I can take a smaller amount at a time and still feel like I ate something.

I’ve thought about thinning it out even more but haven’t tried it yet. The result of how I’m doing it means that for every 2L of Soylent I’m adding another .8L of water on top of the 1.6L used to make it.

I’m only drinking about 1500 calories of Soylent each day so that’s only about 1.8L of water that I’m getting from the Soylent/water mix. I still need to drink water on the side to get to an adequate intake levels.

I’ll have to try thinning it out a little more and see how that tastes.

I’m strange and abhor straight water the vast majority of the time. So this is basically what I’ve tried to do.

Things I’ve noticed:

• With Soylent: I enjoy it the same at full strength or fully watered down, but I simply never feel any satiation with it fully watered down. Granted, even at full strength, I never feel fully satiated, but I feel somewhat satiated.
  • With People Chow: I can’t stomach full strength People Chow. I have to add flavoring to watered down People Chow to reach palatable, but even then it has to be shaken every time I take a sip or I end up with a single blob of sludge at the bottom of my vessel. (I keep reading about people who like People Chow, and I just don’t get it! I’ve definitely ruled out People Chow for me.)
  • With Marion Chow: At full strength it’s like a chocolate shake mixed with chocolate milk. Watered down it’s like watered down chocolate milk. I actually like it both ways, but it is pretty different from one extreme to the other. I feel satiated pretty quickly with full strength. I tend not to drink the watered down version fast enough to ever reach satiation.

With Soylent and soylents, I’ve found my optimal approach is to:

• Make my S/soylent with slightly more water then full strength.
  • For breakfast I drink out of a tall glass (don’t know measurement) and put ice cubes in up to about 1/4 of the glass, then pour my S/soylent over the ice. I drink the first half pretty quickly, start getting ready for work (including prepping my two travel containers of S/soylent), by which time the ice cubes have almost completely melted and I finish the slightly watered down mixture.
  • Fill my drinking vessel (24 oz Nalgene OTG) with ice cubes, fill remaining space with S/soylent. This I’ll drink until lunchtime. It obviously gets more watered down as I approach lunchtime, but there are typically still a few, small cubes left.
  • Fill my 40 oz Hydro Flask about 1/4 with ice cubes and then with S/soylent. I’ll fill up my Nalgene at lunchtime and then again in the late afternoon. After each refill I initially get my full strength but the ice cubes slowly water it down.
  • For dinner, I do a couple of tall glasses with ice about 1/2 way. I tend to drink these faster than the cubes melt, so my dogs get whatever is left (and beg for it like it’s red meat!)
  • My one big deviation is when I’ve known I was going to be working outside most of the day. In those cases I’ve blended my base mixture with an equal amount of ice until it was slushy. I had to carry an extra container when I did this.
  • I’m not sure if I’m reaching or exceeding DRI, but I know my urine has been either clear (slushy version) or way more pale than ever before in my life, so I’m happy with whatever amount I’m getting now.

A little back of the napkin math tells me that if I were to mix up Soylent like normal (and assuming I’m still only drinking 1500 calories per day and my goal is 3L of water/day) I would have to add 120% water to what ever quantity of Soylent I drink.

So if I want to drink 500ml of Soylent I would add 600ml of water to that.

I just happen to have some Soylent at my desk right now so I tried to do a test but then realized that I added too much water (because my Soylent was already watered down). Still it’s not bad to drink. Might be good for if you’re taking in with you while you hiking or walking so you can hydrate and get some energy at the same time.

When I got home I did a 50/50 mix of Soylent already mixed in the pitcher and water. I mixed 250ml Soylent and the same amount water. It still tastes good. It doesn’t seem too thin.

I think I’ll try drinking it like this for a while and see how it goes.

The pitcher is about 1.6L, unless you’re an athlete or exercising every day I do not subscribe to the notion that we need 3.7L a day.

I have 1.2L in my 75% Soylent and I drink an additional 2L and it’s almost hard work, but then I have a desk job and do no exercise…

I’ve always wondered how much fact is behind the conventional wisdom that “nobody drinks enough water”. My body has always been rather good at telling me when I need to drink something…