Why should I choose a Soylent Bar over a protein bar?

There are a lot of smart people here that have done a lot of research, so I am tapping into the hive mind opinion to help form my own.

Why would I choose a Soylent Bar over a Clif Energy Bar?

Soylent Bar has less sugar.

I would assume the vitamins/minerals are in better proportions in the Soylent Bar as well.

If we are worried about sugar content and specific vitamin mineral ratio, Soylent Bar will be a better option.

At some point, for an average person, cost must be taken into consideration. Those people who are concerned about price may decide that $1.00 per bar (Clif Bar, 68grams) are a more viable option than a $2.00 per bar (Soylent Bar, 60grams.)

I must admit, a bar is going to be supplemental to my nutrition, an easier option when at the airport or traveling. So, with this thinking, if I were still eating Soylent 1.6 50% of the time, eating an occasional Clif Bar, as a healthy adult, wouldn’t be detrimental to my health. Since I would be eating Soylent for half my meals, my sugar intake would already be low.

With this thought pattern, as long as the Clif Bar kept me satiated, the Clif Bar would be a good option, especially for my wallet.

If you are only worried about cost, there are likely cheaper granola bar or candy bar options than Clif Bar. (perhaps the store brands at Walmart or grocery stores?)

And by that logic I could cook wholesome meals at home for cheaper than 1.6. I could consume loafs of bread at .88 cents a loaf, eggs cost .98 cents a dozen, ham for 2.00 a pound, spinach for 90 cents per pound, a 90 supply of vitamins for $5.00.

My family will keep buying protein bars (right now it’s “zone perfect nutrition bars”). The bars we get have more protein, a good amount of vitamins (plus we take multivitamins), almost as many calories (210kcal), taste better, and are less than half the price of Soylent bars.

If we’re going to spend $20 on quick calories for my sister to use between schools, cheap protein bars from Walmart go a lot farther than Soylent bars. I don’t really think Soylent bars have much advantage unless you expect to get stuck in an ice cave and forced to live off of your chosen snack food.

Edit: Oh boy, I sound mad for some reason. The intended tone was not anger :laughing:

Probably depends on how many bars you anticipate eating per month… If it’s just a few then I see little advantage with Soylent bars. On the flip side I can’t see how anyone would make this a majority of their diet either due to the cost. So there is probably some sweet spot (ahem…) in the middle for someone willing to pay the price for the convenience of perhaps one or two bars per day.

I already do this with 2.0. On an average day I’ll go through 2000 kcal of powder and 400 or 800 kcal of drink for convenience and change of taste albeit added cost.

At $2/bar it doesn’t interest me at all as I’d probably fall in the 1 or 2 a month camp.

The Soylent one has “FOOD BAR” written on the front in big, friendly letters.

DAMN THESE PROTEIN BARS :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Don’t feed me protein. You wouldn’t like me when I’ve eaten too much protein.

Paul?

…PAUL!!!

HULK SMASH CLIF BAR

*Ahem*, sorry about that.

College starts Monday then I am being shipped off to Kent, WA for work training again so I anticipate snack bars will come in handy quite a bit.

I almost feel buying Coffiest and Soylent Bar is a novelty at this point. I am disappointed that I feel this way because I truly love Soylent Powder, even 2.0 at the original subscription price has its place. I am finding it hard to justify the price of other products while there are alternate options out there.

There is a limit for brand loyalty and price vs convenience.

In a world where Soylent bars were $1/each, I’d probably order a bunch and eat them all the time.

At $2 a bar (really $1.71/bar if you get free shipping and use the coupon), I can’t see myself using them as more than an occasional treat.

I had not heart of these, less than a $1 each and available on Amazon subscribe and save. I will even get cash back with my Amazon Card! SOLD!

(.83 each after S&S and Cashback)

How does the nutrition compare to Soylent?

Abysmal. It’s only practical because neither is something we’re living off of. The micros aren’t balanced and there are too many carbs, plus if my memory is correct there are several missing micros.

For me it’d depend on frequency. I wouldn’t personally eat a Clif bar for lunch everyday.

I agree with that. Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way… with a bar I am not looking for an entire meal, more of a hold over until my next meal. I find when I am hungry with limited choices is when poor food decisions are made. Something like Kind bars have low sugar and glycemic load, but not complete macros - but I am not looking for a bar to live off of, again, I am looking for something to hold me over until I can get to my 1.6 :wink:

For me, I consume 1.6 for Breakfast and Lunch and eat whatever I want for dinner as long as I am within my calories for the day. With college and travel there are long periods of times where something might get in the way of breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner. A traffic accident may delay me an hour between school and home, waiting for a flight, delayed flight, waiting on the tarmac to take off. I am looking for something to fill those rare gaps that is also cost effective.

If Soylent did make their bar similar in cost to 2.0, maybe between the cost of 1.6 and 2.0, I would switch over to a bar for one of my meals, either breakfast or lunch - but alas, it was not meant to be.

If sugar is the main concern, QuestBars already fit this niche quite handily and are readily available in local stores.

Same here. But I’ll enjoy the novelty.

As far as Coffiest, though: whereas it is more expensive than v2.0, it is cheaper than a bottle of v2.0 plus a cup of coffee. So I can justify the price for me.