Why should I choose a Soylent Bar over a protein bar?

Protein bars don’t have enough nutrient. If it were cost that matters, better to just have a banana.

Bananas aren’t very filling large bananas are about 130 grams or 110-117 calories.

1 Like

Yeah, this one’s a disappointment. The price is way too high to sway me from the much cheaper “protein bars” that I can get in town.

What I look for in a “bar”:

1. Price
  2. Calorie density
  3. High protein
  4. How filling?
  5. Storage longevity (will it melt to mush in my backpack?)
  6. Taste
  7. Nutrition profile
5 Likes

Exactly how I feel. I would be buying boxes every month for $1 a bar. $2 a bar I won’t buy one. They need to be equal or better than Twenny bar for me. So far they are neither.

5 Likes

Because every single protein bar I have ever seen either has whey protein or poop sugars or they are overly expensive. I can’t consume dairy so the bars with whey are out for me. Can’t consume the ones with those sugar alcohols because I am sensitive to those as well; I call them poop sugars because that’s basically what they are to me.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I like the nutritional profile of Soylent Food Bars - but not at a $2.00 price tag. If I ate one per day, thats $60 a month. If my wife and I ate one per day, thats $120. We can shop for two weeks worth of food for $120.

There are other options available, they may not have the nutritional profile of Soylent Food Bars, but since I eat Soylent for 50-75% of my diet, I feel that the cheaper alternatives, being a healthy individual, are not going to negatively effect my health.

3 Likes

What if you and your wife each ate two per day? That’d probably be like $240.

3 Likes

And let’s not forget our brains are mostly fat, and the idea of “protein for energy” might be somewhat true for physical labourers, but for brain power, I don’t know of any bars other than Soylent’s Food Bars that have such a wonderfully high amount of unsaturated fats.

1 Like

AFAIK (I think I read it here actually), glucose is basically the sole source of fuel for your brain. Even when your body is in ketosis, it replaces the glucose with ketone bodies.

1 Like

What you are referring to is gluconeogenesis. Your body makes glucose out of amino acids and glycerol.

1 Like

Just picked up a box of 6 260kcal Clif Chocolate chip peanut crunch bars for $6…

1.5g saturated fat (vs 1.0 for Food Bar)
0 trans fat or cholesterol (like Food Bar)
2g Polyunsat (vs 2.5 for FB)
3g Monounsat (vs 6 for FB)
200mg sodium (vs 210 for FB)
220mg potassium (vs 410 for FB)
42g carbs (vs 30 for FB)
4g fiber (3 insoluble) (vs 5g /3 for FB)
20g sugars (vs 6g for FB)
10g protein (vs 12g for FB)
… no micronutrients…

So not as nutritious, but for a 260kcal snack it’s $1… And hey peanut butter w/chocolate chips.

3 Likes

Read the fine print. I count 13 micros listed in addition to sodium and potassium listed above.

http://www.clifbar.com/uploads/13/07/cb_ccpc_r13.png

6 Likes

Glucose is not the only fuel for the brain. Ketones pass the blood brain barrier and are the prominent fuel source for the brain while in ketosis. IIRC while in ketosis the need for glucose as fuel for the brain is reduced to about 20%, or about 30g/day give or take. As @horsfield mentioned all of this glucose can be provided through gluconeogenesis in the liver, there is no need for dietary carbs and even someone on a zero carb diet will have sufficient glucose, though very few people would attempt zero carb.

We are also finding neurological benefits to the keto fueled brain. It’s long been used to control seizures in epileptics, and more recent research shows benefits for a host of other brain ailments, though that research it just getting started. It looks very promising to me, the dietary change is very low risk, with a potentially huge payoff for dementia, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, etc.

I mean this is basically the same question as “why would anyone choose Soylent over a protein powder?” The answer is that (in principle at least) Soylent is designed to be exactly x% of your daily nutritional needs (12.5 in the case of the bar), which isn’t necessarily the case for these other products.

3 Likes

I believe Soylent was also designed to be affordable. On this parameter, food bar has no advantage.

If the choices were to LIVE off food bars vs energy/protein bars then yeah, Soylent wins.

But if you’re looking for an occasional snack, the slight nutritional edge of food bar doesn’t seem to compensate for the cost or lack of flavor variety.

6 Likes

Please consume with caution. If you get sick after eating your first bar DO NOT assume that it is just a virus. I consumed for breakfast on two consecutive Friday and had a violent vomiting reaction about 1.5 hours later. The first time I thought it was a virus – now I know that was not the case. If your order has this stamp 16:02 B.B. 14JUL17 F3 1966. DO NOT CONSUME. I am not the only one who has had this reaction. There is a separate thread about it. I have been in touch with Soylent

Found on Facebook/Reddit

1 Like

Ok, I do like the complete nutrition aspect of Food Bar so I bought another box. So far, I like Costco protein bars for flavor and price, 18.00 for a box of 20 Kirkland protein bars.

3 Likes

I’ve never tried the Costco protein bars but I’ll give them a shot if I ever find myself in a Costco again (I’ve only been once as someone’s guest, and I don’t see myself buying a membership anytime soon).

Is it just me or are KIND bars disappointing? I like their granola clusters a lot better.

I like most Clif bars I’ve tried, especially their Builder’s protein bar. Actually, I think I prefer LUNA bars to Clif bars, even though they’re marketed towards women. Go figure. :flushed:

Nature Valley bars (granola, protein, etc.) are pretty good, if you just want something to snack on. I like that they keep coming out with new flavors, products, etc. to try.

Since I went from bars to granola, I should also mention my favorite granola is Love Crunch’s Dark Chocolate & Peanut Butter. Mmm. Their Dark Chocolate Macaroon is pretty good too.

Edit: I nearly forgot, but I had a FiberOne bar for the first time recently. It was just, like, spongy and awful. The worst.

1 Like