"Why Soylent Is The Future Of Medicine"

From The View Inside Me blog: “Why Soylent is the Future of Medicine

version number 6 has just launched as a ready-mixed drink

I believe 2.0 is version 7.

I found this part interesting:

I do know that long-term malnutrition is the foundation of most diseases in our western lifestyle. There is an explosion of evidence that diseases like arthritis, diabetes, cancer and mental health problems are linked to poor nutrition. Look at the Functional Medicine movement now, in which doctors have discovered that most of these lifestyle diseases can be avoided and even reversed with good nutrition – and you can see how something like the Soylent approach can revolutionise healthcare.

Given the cost of healthcare, I genuinely believe that governments will start to work out that free base nutrition will be the cheapest way to keep the population in good health. And since food and healthcare are two of the biggest costs associated with ageing, it will also be the cheapest way to reduce spiralling cost of ageing in the long term. We are not too far away from seeing that happen.

I can definitely see governments considering this in the future as a cost-saving measure. (Cheaper to keep a population healthy than pay for the resultant healthcare costs.)

I have this funny but scary image of horror-stricken faces when the government starts making soylent a staple food and gives out “Soylent Stamps” and everyone wonders if the government’s Soylent actually IS people.

What kinda gets me is it’s not as far fetched as I once thought that we could end up like the society in Make Room, Make Room. Living of the cheapest food the government will give us. I just hope it’s Soylent and not Soylent Green.

LOL.

I take it you don’t work in the insurance industry? :wink:

No, I do not. (?)

Are you implying that healthcare costs to take care of people with poor health are cheaper than I thought, and I would know that if I worked in the health insurance industry?

(Sorry, I really don’t understand.)

I genuinely believe that governments will start to work out that free base nutrition will be the cheapest way to keep the population in good health.

This is pretty much the point I differ with the article on. The author raises some good points with regards to health and nutrition, but this is the kind of opinion that can only be generated within an echo-chamber. Go listen to some of the stump speeches or the upcoming debates and hear what our politicians are bleating on about right now. The idea that they’re going to be seriously considering “Nationalized Basic Nutrition” anytime this generation is pretty far outside the realm of reality.

It is conceivable that algal bioreactors could soon feature in every home, creating personalised nutrition on demand. This algal community could evolve to meet your needs, based on live data from your body.

Every casual futurist has their pet sci-fi prediction that they want to see during their lifetime, but we’re closer on a timeline to the industrial revolution than widespread home based bioreactors creating personalized nutrition on demand.

Not a bad article, just not one with a lot of realistic merit.

Well, not exactly. However insurance companies have a long history of avoiding coverage of preventative medicine.

Basically if 5 in 10 people are going to have heart attacks, but a preventative measure can get that down to 4 in 10… the question becomes whether that preventative measure for everyone is more expensive than the 10% reduction in heart attacks.

That could probably be explained with better examples but I’m sure you get the idea.

Also note that the government doesn’t pay for healthcare costs, and half our population would fight to the death rather than let our government do anything beneficial for people.

In many western countries (Canada, the UK, etc.), healthcare is almost universally provided or funded by the government. In the US, around 1/3 of the population is covered by government-provided healthcare (34.3% as of 2013) and likely increasing due to the The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. (aka “Obamacare”)

Yes, that is the basic proposition the author of the blog entry was stating. I don’t actually know if it is the case that increasing the consumption of healthy food would decrease the cost of healthcare by more than the cost of that food (in this case, Soylent), but that was the argument.

The only real prediction you can make about the future is that we’re going to have more energy. Everything else is a consequence of that.

Back when I was studying traditional Chinese medicine one of the sayings I remember reading was something along the lines of “If you take/treat your food like medicine you won’t have to end up taking your medicine like food”. Food being the forefront of preventative medicine, as it were.
…my 2¢

Obamacare does not cover medical expenses. It’s a requirement to have insurance and (I think) a small subsidy of that insurance. I’m not even sure of that last part.

Of course you are right about the rest, but I was talking about the USA.

Got it. Although like I said, if the government tried to subsidize it in any fashion the Republicans in this country would fight it tooth and nail. (This is why we have Obamacare rather than a single payer system like every other 1st world country. :frowning: )

I’m looking forward to it whether or not I have a home bioreactor.

Sylass was actually hoping for a belly bioreactor IIRC. Me, I want a fusion reactor in my chest to power my eternal cyborg body.

If we’re going extreme, I want my consciousness imprinted on a substrate on the Planck scale so I can survive the breakdown of all particles in the universe.

Anyone wanna beat that?

I want my consciousness molded onto a force of nature, quantum gravity that is spread across all 11 dimensions so I can survive any potential dimensional collapse. My information might even survive the event horizon of a black hole sylass, can your itty bitty substrate do that? :smirk:

I WANT MY MIND PACKED INTO THE VOID, STAPLED ONTO A RIFT ROCKET, SHOT INTO THE MULTIVERSE AND WRAPPED IN A GLITTER COVERED PELICAN CASE.

CAN YOU BEAT* THAT @Sententia, HUH HUHHH???

Edit: I have no idea what a rift rocket is. I was blinded with rage and it just came out.

Edit 2: Spelling…

oh i can bean it :smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk: