Will I lose or gain weight?

Hello all,

I ordered the 2.0 and am anticipating it’s arrival. I am excited to drink this when I am too lazy to make a meal or when I am on the go and cooking/eating is inconvenient. However I had a question in regards to if I myself would lose or gain weight.

Current Diet: I don’t eat breakfast, just lunch and dinner. Consume about 600-1500 calories a day (mostly junk food but take a multivitamin). Work out for 30 minutes - cardio and weight lifting.

Future Diet: Either drinking Soylent 2.0 for breakfast, lunch, and having a clean/moderate healthy meal for dinner. Working out as well; cardio and weights for 30 minutes. Or possibly drinking 3 times a days and eating decent on the weekends. Or Soylent for lunch and clean dinner. Have not entirely decided how I want to do this.

With that being said, will I essentially gain weight by switching to Soylent? Going off my current calorie consumption I would be taking in more calories on Soylent. It’d be nice to lose weight but it isn’t my main goal by using Soylent. I however do not want to gain weight by using this. (I’d rather stick to eating unhealthy!) Or will I be losing weight since Soylent is healthy and my body likes it more/won’t store fatty stuff that I am currently eating.

TL:DR: I will be consuming more calories with Soylent vs my current unhealthy/fast food diet. Will I lose or gain weight?

If you consume more then you burn, you gain weight.
If you consume less then you burn, you lose weight.

Soylent isn’t any different. Just easier to measure.

Don’t need to force yourself on 2000 calories if you don’t need it. Just drink 3-4 bottles instead of 5.

So basically me introducing Soylent to my current diet is a bad idea (as in I’ll gain weight compared to my current diet)?

If you eat more than you currently do you’ll gain weight, the introduction of Soylent is a fairly neutral force here. The only different thing about Soylent is that you can very easily and confidently count calories.

So I should either consume it twice a day or once a day along with my regular/whatever meal?

Very simple. If you are maintaining you weight eating 1000 calories today, and you want to maintain that then you should can switch to drinking 2 and a half bottles of Soylent. 2.5 bottles is 1000 calories. If you want to gain weight then drink more. If you want to lose weight then drink less.

As others have said, this has nothing to do with Soylent. If you eat more calories than you burn then you will gain weight. You just have to determine how much to drink. This is much easier with Soylent then almost any other food.

Ok. It’s just that the DV is going off 2000 calories so am I not getting my daily nutrients by following it? I almost bought 100% Food but I’m glad I didn’t. The Low Carb one (for losing weight) was still a 2000 calorie diet and that’s way more than I currently consume so I figured I would be gaining weight. Oh well.

Tangent:

Upping physical activity level yields diminishing returns

Has that been discussed on this site yet? If so, I missed it.

Exactly. I consume 3 scoops of powder (750 calories) during my day. Jog about 12 miles a week, and have a sensible dinner and have lost 15 lbs in about a month. Would likely be more but a hamstring problem hindered cardio. Soylent is my meal replacement and I haven’t been tired or easily fatigued like attempts to do this in the past with other products. I used to live on RedBull and Rockstar drinks to stay alert (major reason I have lbs to lose). I haven’t touched anything but soylent and water for drinks for the past month and don’t miss all the sugary stuff in the least.

The problem with Soylent 2.0 when it comes to weight loss is it’s so easy to consume and I find it delicious. I easily end up drinking 7 bottles per day :sob:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I guess I could do Ramen for lunch, string cheese before working out, and Soylent for dinner. I’ve managed to lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks by eating only Ramen and Cambell’s Chunky Soup. Figured Soylent would help but only if I consume it sonservatively. :slight_smile:

So you’d rather be lighter & unhealthy than heavier & healthy?

Interesting perspective.

Well let me rephrase that lol.

Did blood work and I am healthy already. Doc said to keep up my current diet and I told him cheeseburgers, fries, pasta, anything my heart desired. But I figured maybe all that fatty stuff would eventually put weight on me. So I figured I would consume Soylent to replace my bad meals for calorie sake. But if that means consuming more calories leading to weight gain then I’d rather stick to McDoubles and dollar menu items.

So I am healthy either way, for now. I just figured if I could do quick meals and retain or lose weight on Soylent then that’d be awesome. But I don’t want to live a Soylent lifestyle if I end up gaining weight versus eating junk food.

[quote=“bertthamilton, post:7, topic:24950, full:true”]Ok. It’s just that the DV is going off 2000 calories so am I not getting my daily nutrients by following it? [/quote]Nutrients scales with calories. So if you need 1600 calories, you only need 80% of the nutrients, and can get both with 4 bottles of Soylent.

Soylent makes it easy to lose weight with 2 steps.

1: Figure out how many calories you actually want to get. Check a calculator like here. https://diy.soylent.com/nutrient-profiles/calculator

2: Eat that much Soylent. If you eat something else, eat less Soylent.

If you still feel anxious about missing nutrients, take a multi-vitamin.

Here’s where I keep running into my dilemma. If I plug in my info it says I need to consume between 1900-2100 calories a day depending on how fast I want to lose weight. I consume nowhere near that amount currently. So if I tried following that calculator wouldn’t I theoretically be gaining weight? Once again, wouldn’t I be better off just consuming Ramen at 150 calories for lunch and one can/2 servings/320 calories for a can of Campbell soup?

[quote=“bertthamilton, post:15, topic:24950”]Here’s where I keep running into my dilemma. If I plug in my info it says I need to consume between 1900-2100 calories a day depending on how fast I want to lose weight. I consume nowhere near that amount currently.[/quote]By how much?
I could see it being off by 100 or 200 far end since everyone’s metabolism is different, but it shouldn’t be off much more then that.

[quote]So if I tried following that calculator wouldn’t I theoretically be gaining weight? Once again, wouldn’t I be better off just consuming Ramen at 150 calories for lunch and one can/2 servings/320 calories for a can of Campbell soup?[/quote]No. Ramen is calories, but not nutrients. Soylent is calories AND nutrients (ramen + vegetables). If you replace any meal with Soylent, it should be the ramen.

And This ramen is 190 calories * 2 servings = 380 calories. I really don’t think 150 is correct.

My guess is you have 1502 = 300 calories for breakfast, 3202 = 640 for lunch, and ~1000 for dinner = 1940. Remember to add in your drinks as well. A can of soda has about 100, and 1 pack of sugar in your coffee is 20 calories.

You probably want to cut down to 1800 or so to lose weight.
So maybe 1 bottle of soylent (400) for breakfast, 1 bottle (400) + and a snack (200) for lunch, and 2 bottles (800) for dinner = 1800.

Note, i’m not a doctor.

Soo no breakfast, 300ish for Ramen at lunch, only water to drink during the day, 80 calories string cheese and Campbell’s 320ish calories as dinner. And working out. That is still under 1000 calories. Along with a multivitamin. Switching to 1800+ calories and I’ll lose weight? Going off calories that doesn’t seem right; I feel it’d be the opposite. Ramen may not have nutrients but it is less calories than Soylent. But if calories + healthy nutrients = better than Ramen and I can lose weight then I’d be happy to do that. But if more calories = more weight then I should scrap the idea of Soylent and continue my current ‘bad’ diet. (or at least use Soylent when eating is inconvenient or I’m on the go)

[quote=“bertthamilton, post:17, topic:24950”]Soo no breakfast, 300ish for Ramen at lunch, only water to drink during the day, 80 calories string cheese and Campbell’s 320ish calories as dinner.[/quote]= 700 calories. I’m very suspicious of that number. A small women eats about 1200.

IF it is true, you can just eat 700 calories of Soylent, lose the same weight, and get complete nutrients.

I swear lol.

It originally was a McDouble at Mickey Dees so about 400ish for lunch then my dinner would be something random coming in at 400-800 calories depending. Maybe I’d get a combo at BK at 600-800 for lunch and possibly the same for dinner. NO working out whatsoever.

Then I was like ‘let me get anything that is uber cheap’ and now it is just Ramen and Campbell. Only have been doing this for 3 weeks though. Along with working out.

So yeah I could possibly do Ramen for lunch then Soylent for dinner and vice versa. Maybe even do it for Lunch and Dinner and do that for 4 weeks straight and see what happens.

Just wanted to get info and insight before trying this lifestyle and gaining weight lol

Cool cool, fair enough. It’s good you’re talking to your doctor about this (he/she knows much more about your situation and diet/health than we do).

One question how old are you? Cos the older I get, the less I can eat junk food and remain healthy.