Will Soylent ever be Kosher certified?

While Soylent 2.0 is vegan, which is Kosher enough for most people, it is not for others. Many, like myself, only eat foods that are certified Kosher.

Will Soylent ever be Kosher certified? If so, is it coming up soon? And any idea what organization will be certifying it (a reputable organization like OU would be ideal)?

Thanks!

Doubtful. Given the large number of ingredients and where they’re sourced from, obtaining Kosher certification would be a lengthy and costly process for a relatively small increase (percentage-wise) in the purchasing base.

I have to agree, just because its made in the USA does not mean everything in it is from USA also so its not easy

Kosher certification

Will Soylent ever get its kosher certification back?

While Soylent 2.0 is vegan, which is Kosher enough for most people, it is not for others. Many, like myself, only eat foods that are certified Kosher.
I have to agree that this will be the best we are going to see

@Conor? Is a kosher certification in the cards after the Europe expansion? And any idea which organization might be certifying it?

That seams reasonable, but since according to the Soylent 2.0 webpage all of the ingredients are already certified kosher, it may be relatively easy to get it. And, of course, it’s vegan, which means it’s already basically kosher.

I’m not sure right now. With the powder we held off due to the costs associated with multiple factories along with our versioning system (each version would need to be re-certified).

But it still means Rosa and/or Rhinehart has to pay for the necessary Kosher certifying body to send people in, inspect everything, then issue the certificate. And when the formula changes even the tiniest bit, do it all over again. It’s a lot of expense for not much gain, consumer-wise.

I for one hope no one changes formulas (or spends unnecessary money) to make Soylent more superstition-friendly.

[quote=“Trad, post:12, topic:25322, full:true”]
You would think Soylenteers would be more scientifically minded, eh? But I guess we are the hipsters that knew the band before they got big.
[/quote]Pretending people don’t have religious beliefs would be unscientific.

Well, that would seem to be correct at first glance. However, a surprising amount of large corporations pursue the kosher certification (at least in the US). I would assume that either (a) the certification organizations purposely keep the certification costs remarkably cheap in order to incentivize companies to get their products certified, or (b) there are enough indirect benefits to kosher certification to justify the costs (many people are under the impression that kosher products are more healthy, for example, and try to buy kosher items whenever possible). Or a combination of the two.

If kosher certification was a waste of money, it would be far less common.

And in addition to the practical benefits of certification, I know there are plenty of Jewish folks like myself who would be overjoyed if Soylent was made kosher. (I say this as a fan of Soylent since the early versions.)

And, by the way, I’m pretty sure it’s even harder than that: I think they would have to hire a Rabbi to be present at the factory at all times of production. Every day. Watching.

On the bright side, though, Rabbis don’t get paid very much at all.

I would say if some people need a rabbi to be present at all time to buy Soylent, then they ought to look for a different product… If Soylent is willing to do that, then I don’t really care… You already know that Soylent is basically kosher, if you need someone to bless it also, then you should hire a rabbi yourself to do that as you drink it :sweat_smile:. The only benefit of kosher is religious. (It’s a very uncommon practice in Europe where I am from)

I’m afraid at the direction this thread may take so i’m going to lock it now. My response comes from talking with our operation team.