"With Soylent Sales Up 300 Percent, Its Founders Have Eyes on Europe"

I guess Soylent will never reach Europe?
Soylent Use by Women?

So how’s business?
Rhinehart: “We’re up 300 percent this year and trying out and experimenting with new products. We should be in Europe by next year, so … very good, thank you!”

That should make some people very happy.

They called it Soylent in homage to the 1973 science fiction film, Soylent Green…

If I ever had any innate respect for journalists or writers, it has vanished. Thanks, Soylent!

:frowning: By next year?! That makes me sad to hear…

Sad, but it sounds prudent to me.

Setting up a European operation in the next 11 months seems incredibly ambitious, personally. I am very glad they are expanding and growing so quickly.

That seems really quick to me. It’s not a simple task, and it’ll definitely be a lot more difficult than setting up in Canada was. They might even need to set up a manufacturer in Europe rather than a distribution center like they have in Canada, due to the logistics of sending such heavy goods across the ocean…that’s the way it seems to me, anyway. I don’t really know much about it.

It’s slow compared to when we Europeans were promissed Soylent originally together with the Americans. Then got pushed back to later that year, then next year. And now next year again :sweat_smile: been waiting patiently now since I first signed up to be a beta participator many years ago.

All I am saying is I wish they had done more to be ready for Europe once they had the volume. (I will still order the moment it becomes available to us, and have already gotten a few weeks worth secondhand from some cool people)

Of course, the interview might have taken place in 2015, so “next year” could mean 2016, which is now this year.

Then again, I think Rob did say he expected version 1.6 of the powder to be out by the end of 2015, and that hasn’t happened.

I’d be delighted to be able to buy Soylent in the UK, but UPS and our kindly tax enforcers might miss getting all my money each month.

As I did with Canada, I can promise you EU launch is a top priority.

Yeah, if they did a bit more of research, they would have discovered Rob named it Soylent not because of the 1973 film Soylent Green, but because of the book Make Room! Make Room!, which Soylent Green (1973) was loosely based off. In that book, there is a futuristic food called Soylent that is a steak-like food that is half soya and half lentil, not a greenish wheat thin that is made of people as Charlton Heston discovers in Soylent Green (1973).

But I never take that claim seriously. They must have known from day one that the movie would be what people associated the name with, not some book read by relatively few people. Were you ever channel-hopping and came across the book Make Room! Make Room! and you saw the words Soylent Green in it? Not likely. You probably saw at least some of the movie and you probably didn’t read the book – but if you did read the book, you probably also saw the movie.

However, that was a long time ago, and if the name Soylent is a big deal to some people, they have marked themselves as from an older generation. The name is just a pleasant joke out of the past.