Woohoo Thanks Crowdtilt! (Also, flavor/odor question)

My starter kit and two pouches of Soylent 1.0 showed up today. Needless to say, I’m pretty excited.

I mixed up my first bag when I got home from work, with the intention of taking it to the office tomorrow. But I got hungry, so I had some Soylent. I am no longer hungry, after consuming ~400kcal worth. Oddly enough I can still feel that my stomach is empty, which means I feel sort of half hungry—the physical sensation in my stomach is still kind of there, but the actual drive for food is gone. Probably not bad given that the only other food I had today was a muffin for breakfast (which is a huge part of why I want Soylent in my life).

Some observations:
The texture is not bad, at all. It is ever so slightly gritty, but really, it’s nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. The viscosity is similar to milk, quite smooth and creamy.

The taste, however, is a bit… weird. So the basic profile is of a slightly-sweet vanilla shake, which I was expecting. That hits the front of the tongue, and spreads out along the palate with a flour-and-water earthiness that’s pretty nice.

However, when the volatiles kick up at the back of the mouth it has some kind of flavor note that I can’t really describe. I can’t articulate what it tastes like other than… “off.” I get the sense that it’s probably coming from the mineral blend, or maybe the rice protein? I mean you can’t get all those minerals into something without having some affect on the flavor, right?

Is this normal? I’m assuming that it is—my roommate didn’t get the same impression, and I’m over-sensitive to these kinds of things. :smiley:

Either way, very much looking forward to the next couple of days. Couldn’t have come at a better time—coasting to my first paycheck at my summer internship with about $3 in the bank. Thursday can’t come soon enough. :smiley:

Cool, nice to hear they are doing 2 week orders now :slight_smile: I will get mine in a few days i hope

Any off-flavors are greatly diminished after a few hours in the fridge. :wink:

They are not shipping two week orders. This person received two free pouches from a forum post here that was giving some away.

It had been in the fridge for a few hours. We’ll see how breakfast goes. :slight_smile: