Xander's People Chow (optimized for health and longevity)

Hello everyone,

My recipe is now complete, at least for this stage of it’s development and so I thought I would share it with the community. You can find it here: http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/xanders-people-chow

I based my recipe off Max’s People Chow 2.2 and I’ve modified it to meet my own personal dietary needs. I have been a “CRONie” for awhile now. CRON stands for, Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition, a diet proven to increase lifespan and health in many animals including humans. New research is showing that protein restriction is just as important as calorie restriction which is one of the reasons my protein levels might seem low. It’s recommended to consume 1g of protein per 1kg of body weight for the lowest IGF-1 hormone levels. IGF-1 is the “cancer” hormone because of it’s growth-promoting properties.

If anyone has any questions or comments please share. I’ve done a lot of research over the years ever since I started CRON because CRON is kind of a whole-foods soylent and because we are consuming low levels of calories it becomes important to make sure you are getting what the body requires. I am happy with how my recipe has turned out. It is inexpensive and easy to prepare, also tastes good to me.

I will continue to develop my recipe and the next phase will include research into adding antioxidants such as flavanoids, anthocyanins, and polyphenols.

References: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24291541 “What are the roles of calorie restriction and diet quality in promoting healthy longevity?”

Hey Xander!

Doesn’t all whey protein, even isolate, have IGF-1?

If your goal is to minimize IGF-1, why not use a non-whey protein source?

You are correct. I was somewhat desperate to start soylent and so I rushed into it, I will be switching to brown rice or pea protein isolate when I run out of whey.

Have you ever thought of lowering the carbs and increasing the fats? My first (and only for the moment) soylent was ketogenic. I was doing 20 grams of carbs, 110 grams of protein (I was doing more or less 1.5 grams per kilo of lean body mass) and 192 grams of fattys.

I’m not saying “do keto”. There’s also a low carb option. As long as you do more than 50 grams of carbs you won’t go into ketosis. It’s just another energy source. a different one. Have in mind that carbohydrates a not essencial for the human being :smiley: (if needed, the body can produce glucose from protein)

Oh, is this sort of like the Fast Diet that Dr Michael Moseley researched in a BBC documentary recently? I bought the book because it made a lot of sense, it’s where you fast for 2 days (only consume about 200calories) and eat “as much as you want” for the other 5… It’s meant to be great for your brain, staves off a lot of illnesses and gets you into shape too!

btw, @Xander, your formula has almost 2500 calories. I don’t understand the calorie restriction here… there seems to be no restriction.

Thanks for the reply. :slight_smile: That stuff looks good, and the cost is not bad either. The only reason I wouldn’t include it in my recipe is because there is too much stuff in there and too many variables for me to comfortably add it. I prefer to have control over my ingrediants and to feel confident about what I am consuming. That is why I am going to be looking into: powdered herbs, fruits, vegetables, etc. basically all the stuff that is in that Nutri-Greens but on a more individual basis. For example I will probably be looking into adding beta-carotene and lycopene to the recipe, maybe in the form of powdered hibiscus which might add a good taste aswell!

It is for this reason that I don’t really like using a multi-vitamin like the GNC powder but if I were to try to get all my vitamins from whole foods or synthetic sources the recipe would start to get much more complicated.

[quote=“puddin, post:6, topic:10431”]
Oh, is this sort of like the Fast Diet that Dr Michael Moseley researched in a BBC documentary recently?
[/quote]Yes it is! Alternate day fasting has been shown to have many of the same health benefits as calorie restriction. They are not the same, from what I remember one of the main differences is in the LDL/HDL levels but don’t quote me on that. I’m not able to find my research studies on alternate day fasting at the moment but if you want to take a look at those I can provide them. Alot of the other benefits of calorie restriction however have been duplicated with alternate day fasting. I enjoyed that documentary aswell, I didn’t realize there was a book. Definitely not quackery Elixium. :slight_smile: It is a good documentary I recommend checking it out! It was on youtube but doesn’t look like it is there anymore.

[quote=“rvalsera, post:5, topic:10431”]
Have you ever thought of lowering the carbs and increasing the fats?
[/quote]Yes, my recipe is very carb heavy. I don’t really like it either. This is probably the area of my recipe which I am least confident about and I’ve done quite a bit of reading over the past couple days to try to figure out the best fat/carb ratio. Unfortunately I haven’t felt satisfied with anything I’ve read. I’m definitely not interested in keto. Some more fat probably wouldn’t hurt. Right now however the macronutritent ratio seems OK. I think it is like 60% carbs, 11% protein, and 29% fat. One of my concerns is my blood glucose levels after eating soylent. Any kind of spike in blood glucose is bad (well not ANY but you get what I mean) and you really want to try to keep those as minimal as possible. I tested my blood glucose level after last nights soylent and it was 199, but I had added some sugar to my recipe (not sure why I don’t normally do that, was the first time I did) so that probably affected it. If I am getting any spikes over 180 though after eating soylent then maybe increasing the fat and lowering the carbs, or adding more fiber, is necessary.

Thanks again and excellent observation. I am 6’3" and I weight 156 pounds. I have a BMI of 19.5. One of the challenges of CR is determining just what the number of calories you should eat per day is. I’ve decided that instead of going off calories, I’m going to base my CR off my BMI. If I start to gain weight on soylent I will reduce the calories to 2200. The reason it is at the level it is is because I don’t want to lose any more weight. Someone of my size and age (I’m 24) probably eats around 3,000 calories a day so 2,500 would be considered CR

References: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19021355 (“One-year study on the variation of carotenoid antioxidant substances in living human skin: influence of dietary supplementation and stress factors”)
http://www.pnas.org/content/100/10/6216.full ("Intermittent fasting dissociates beneficial effects of dietary restriction on glucose metabolism and neuronal resistance to injury from calorie intake ")

OK blood glucose level only spiked to 151 mg/dl after this mornings breakfast. I’ll admit it was a bit hard to eat, I sure have a lot of corn in my recipe now. It is possible that 2,500 is way to many calories for me. 2,200 would be easier to get down! I will have to watch my weight carefully. Maybe I will lower it.

So: don’t add sugar to your soylent! Actually, I would just stay away from sugar altogether it spikes your blood sugar way too much.

" In many strains of rats and mice a monotonic linear
relationship between CR and lifespan extension exists. A 10–50% reduction in
calorie intake below usual ad libitum intake causes a proportionate increase
in maximum life span, whereas CR exceeding 50% typically causes starvation
and increases mortality (Fontana et al., 2010, Weindruch and Walford, 1988
and Masoro, 2005)."

There are, as described above, studies on animals for % of CR but not in humans. To determine what % of calories to restrict that is current an individual decision for someone wanting to practice the CRON diet. This is one of the reasons I prefer to base my CR off BMI rather then daily calorie intake because there are research studies on the long-term effects of BMI. I can find those for you if you wish, but the short of it is too low or too high a BMI decreases lifespan while maintaining a good BMI (around 20) for much of your life increases lifespan. This is important because as people age they generally gain weight so keeping that BMI low is essential for this optimal disease free life. I am basing this off research that insurance companies use to determine the rates they offer clients. Not sure about research articles but it’s pretty established knowledge.

So… most people base their CR off what they were eating adlib, or in my case off a setpoint of bodyweight which is what I’m doing. The way to tell if someone is CRed is bloodwork which will show certain markers that show your CRed.