Xylitol as sweetener

Soylent 1.0 uses Sucralose, which appears to be harmless especially in the quantities used in Soylent.

But check out Xylitol. It has a number of health benefits and no known toxicity in humans.

Xylitol on Wikipedia

Is this a thing for the DIY crowd?

I don’t see a need at present for it in any of my recipes, but have seen that many Soylenteers prefer to chew xylitol gum.

I use xylitol in my DIY in addition to chewing xylitol gum.

it’s a sugar alcohol, in moderation I’m sure it’s fine but this gives me pause: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/whats-in-those-haribo-gummy-bears/283162/

From the Xylitol wikipedia page:

As with other sugar alcohols, with the exception of erythritol, consumption in excess of one’s laxation threshold (the amount of sweetener that can be consumed before abdominal discomfort sets in) can result in temporary gastrointestinal side effects, such as bloating, flatulence, and diarrhea. Adaptation, an increase of the laxation threshold, occurs with regular intake. Xylitol has a lower laxation threshold than some sugar alcohols, but is more easily tolerated than others such as mannitol and sorbitol.

I wouldn’t worry so much about that, I think the issue is that xylitol is expensive and that’s one of the main reasons why it wouldn’t see a large market. Also, most studies are talking about 4 grams a day or less, not 40 grams. It’s made from trees, so who knows, maybe it would cause blindness in high doses.

If anyone wants to know how much Xylitol is in everyday chewing gum / mints or if you need to know how to order a specific gum / mint I found this nifty little PDF.

XYLITOL PRODUCTS